I'd help

Richgross

Edible and delicious...and those look almost prime. Just don't consume with alcohol, or consume alcohol for a few days after or prior to eating them. An extremely under rated mushroom because it doesn't play nice with alcohol.

I would not eat these particular Shaggy Manes, as they appear to be "turning", that is blackening. The caps eventually turn into a black liquid, and as this process transpires, there are chemical changes within the mushroom. People have told me they eat the ones that are beginning to darken, but I eat only the ones that are pure white (except for maybe a few tan to light brown scales on the surface). As for consuming with alcohol, some sources recommend caution, other sources say Coprinus comatus (Shaggy Mane) is okay to consume along with alcohol. There are a few species of Coprinopsis that superficially resemble the Shaggy Mane, and will cause illness if consumed with alcohol (+- 5 days of eating the mushrooms). Coprinopsis atramentaria is the classic "alcohol-sickness Inky cap"  http://www.mushroomexpert.com/coprinopsis_atramentaria.html      Also, Coprinopsis vaiegata is somewhat similar to Shaggy Mane and is known to cause illness for some people  http://www.mushroomexpert.com/coprinopsis_variegata.html  .

A friend of mine's father had eaten lots of Shaggy Manes throughout his life. Then, one day he ate a whole plateful while consuming a bottle of wine. He ended up in the ER recovering from a very bad reaction. It has never been clear to me whether this was due to a combination of Shaggy Manes + alcohol, as opposed to the possibility that he inadvertently collected some C. atramentaria instead of or along with the Shaggies. Many cases of mushroom poisoning are due to the collector inadvertently mixing in a few toxic look-alikes with a collection of some edible type. So, I am a little cautious about how much alcohol I consume while eating Shaggy Manes... although I have not ever experienced a problem. 

I had a small amount of wine one time with them before I even knew about the reaction and it didn't get me sick but I did have a flushing reaction. They were shaggy manes and there was no confusion with mica caps or any other ink cap.

1 hour ago, Richgross said:

some say when the bottom turns black don't eat it and some say it's fine..any suggestions?

Those you took pics of are close to shot, but I would cut the tops off and eat them if you did so quickly after harvesting. Ideally you'd look for younger specimens before they turn black.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Amara said:

Shaggy manes are one of my favorites, but there is an  inhibitor in them that hinders the enzyme in your liver that processes alcohol. From what I understand this inhibitor is in most inky caps

Yes, far less pronounced than in mica caps though.

It was my understanding that shaggy manes and mica caps don't contain coprine which is the problem with alcohol.  I have eaten both of these mushrooms with alcohol consumed the same day with no reaction.  I cut the dark areas off the shaggy manes and thought they were very good. Smelled like burgers cookin in the skillet. The mica caps didn't amount to much but made a tasty sauce for mashed potatoes.  Good info from Dave. Also, make sure they're fully cooked.

Coprinus atramentarius is the mushroom most associated to this situation, though I have heard and read stories too were people ate inky caps and alcohol on many occasions and were just fine, then suddenly ( some dishes down the road) experienced extremely unhappy symptoms.

I have also come across some books suggesting that all inky caps have this inhibitor to a lesser degree and warn of it, or warn of over consuming inky caps, and have read too that only atramentarius are problematic.

I personally would rather lean on the side of caution if I find any published material to suggest it may not be a good idea, but maybe I'm missing out