some nice chicken

benjammin

hows this for one log. i found it last friday just emerging and waited until yesterday evening to pick. super fresh with very minimal bugs. there was alot of chicken on this log i found while fishing 3 years ago. last year it did not produce any chicken, but this year it exploded. i think i have around maybe 60 to 80lbs.

IMG950880.jpg

Holy cow man !!!! That's some serious poundedge !!!! ??

I would have been doing a little something like this if I would've come across that ...........:chickendance::veggiedance::jubilee::hampsterdance: 

Awesome score man. Congrats. I hope you have a couple dehydrates...... or at least some help to preserve it all. Check out the food section, great COW jerky recipes 

I have yet to find any this year that won't thin and dry. Adawg , I have never considered them to be favorite either but I believe im always finding past prime specimens. I found some black staining polypore this year that had just started poping with very thick, juicy fronds and I thought it was very good and tender. So I believe that could be the case with the chicken....at least for me.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, MattVa said:

I have yet to find any this year that won't thin and dry. Adawg , I have never considered them to be favorite either but I believe im always finding past prime specimens. I found some black staining polypore this year that had just started poping with very thick, juicy fronds and I thought it was very good and tender. So I believe that could be the case with the chicken....at least for me.

Your right about the age being a huge factor with the taste of the sulfers. They need to be picked when very young and thick with juice. The Cincinnatus are generally thicker and taste better. I have also found the young black stainer to be very good.

I was surprised with black stainer, I have never read where anyone had mentioned it being much more than just edible. I could have picked a ton of young thick fronds in several places but didn't and never made it back in time. 

this one was totally flowing with juices when i picked it, and very delicous. i also think it is the mushroom that does not taste like a mushroom. very different and when so fresh i like them breaded and fried with ranch. a perfect little snack.