Stumpies?? Or is that just a NEPA thing?

SheepHeadReaper

Hi folks I have been wondering if there is such a thing as stumpy's? "A fatter variety of A. Gallica/ A. Mellea that does not open up" in my area it is believed that these Mushrooms I am showing below are different from your average honey mushroom A Gallica or Mellea. They are called stumpy's (In my area) and people say they are a different kind from the honey mushrooms that open up with the flat cap. I'm wondering if this is true or if it's just a young stage of the honey mushroom or just the first fruiting and they actually are not going to get caps? It would be nicel to get some information from experts as a lot of people in my area just go by what they were told by their grandparents. I believe these to be Armillaria Gallica. So basically people believe these are a different type of honey mushroom in my area. 

Honey mushroom are also widely know as Popinkys here in NEPA. We have a lot of Polish influence and many many people have hunted mushrooms for generations here.

People also say these get much fatter and are better for cooking..

There is a pic also of what I believe is an aborted entoloma.

Pic taken Sept 10th 2017 NEPA Clarks Summit area 

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

My dad used to call Popinkies (Honeys/Armillaria) "stumpies". I don't think he was referring to any particular color/species, just the ones that grew on stumps/trees. Correlating "common" names with scientific names is a dubious pursuit. But, the ones you show here are not A. mellea. A. gallica...? maybe. The way to determine gallica is that the partial veil is flimsy, structured like a cortina (sorta like a cobweb). A. solidipes is another species name to consider for these.

Yup, the result of the species Entoloma abortivum is to parasitize Armillaria mushrooms and turn them into the whitish blobs as seen in the one photo.