Nice mixed bag today

MattVa

Finally was able to get out to one of my spots today. It was a beautiful day here in Va and I finally had a decent mixed bag of edibles.  Chants,Black Trumpets a few Cinnabars and a hand full of nice hedgehogs. I don't find many hedgehogs so I was pleased with that. A Few bugs to deal with on the Chants but I have not found many this year.

Lots of shaggy stalked boletes about and ringless honeys past prime. Did find one cluster of Armillaria Mellea I think but it was fully mature so I left it alone. Tons of brown milkys. So far this Sept is way better than last year.

IMG_20170908_163533.jpg

IMG_20170908_163429.jpg

IMG_20170908_143351.jpg

IMG_20170908_164315.jpg

IMG_20170908_170034.jpg

IMG_20170908_142725.jpg

IMG_20170908_170148.jpg

IMG_20170908_170300.jpg

IMG_20170908_172031.jpg

IMG_20170908_171849.jpg

If your ever in Virginia Cajun I'll hook you up! In all honesty I have waited on the spot to flush all summer. Last year it never produced untill October so Im hoping for more. I left alot of small ones behind and the conditions are looking favorable. 

Old Oak and Matt McDermott thanks guys I needed a good day.....been a long time. Won't be long now before the Hens to show up.

7 hours ago, MattVa said:

To my knowledge it's a shaggy stalked bolete Trout, the Russell's bolete is also similar with very coarse reticulation. The ones I have found where so slimy I did not try it. 

This is correct! These are actually tasty when young. I ate a few Monday but ended up mainly using the stipes in a sauté. The caps stain weird and it throws me off to see it in the pan.

I took a pic of one in the field, and it looks like a little greasy hamburger bun stuck on the end of that weird red veiny stalk. Such a weird specimen.

That find looks good, Matt. Enjoy the bounty.

Matt - I havent been out much but throughout the summer we had quite the rain.  Took a week off to go up north recently in hopes of timing the flushes we've hit the last three years - found nearly nothing so hunted minerals instead.  Im thinking that because of the steady rain all summer mushrooms were given the chance to pop all the time as opposed to the drier summers we had previous years?  Maybe they took this year off? I dunno, found some cool minerals though - we'll see what fall brings

just went camping in NW Jersey, great forest - no fungi, except one chicken of the woods. The forest looked like it hasn't been dry for a very long time. Maybe too much rain this summer.

Im in West Virginia as we speak,just arrived and it's raining here. Fingers crossed!  Hopefully I get a chance to hunt some tomorrow after the wife takes care of some family things. Not the best land for it as it was timbered a few years ago but some of the edges looked promising back in the spring when hunting ramps.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, CajunShroomer3578 said:

Holy smokes !! Recently???

Only thing I'm finding right now are  cracks in the ground, 12 inches deep in some places!! I've been  gawking at all yalls finds, patiently awaiting some rain here ?

Same here in NE Ohio.  its been hot, dry and dusty......need some fall rain....still searching for my first trumpets.