Drive-by shrooming

Today after work I checked on a few Sheepshead spots to no avail, and then as I was leaving the park there was a road crew working there right in another spot I like to park, so I figured I'd just leave and come back another day. As I'm about to drive past the fella holding the stop/slow sign, something catches my eye as I glance out my window into the woods and see it... my first Hen of the season. A medium sized, solid beige color. I only looked for a split second and kept driving, but it pegged my Hen radar. It's weird how you can pick them out while driving like that. I've spotted many while driving, sometimes where many thousands of folks have driven and walked by. I guess the vast majority just doesn't share our interest.

Last year was an exceptional year here in western Pa for Sheepshead and since I was spotting them on occasion from the road, I took a day and went 'road hunting' them. I don't like to eat them if they grow close to the road, especially dirt or gravel roads, but 15-20 yards back? I'm on em. It drives the wife nuts sometimes if she's with me. Half the fun is getting out and spending time in the woods, but I was wondering if anyone else has caught sight of them out the window while they were driving?

While looking for Hens, I also found a handful of Chanterelles growing in the same spot I found my first ones of the season two full months ago. I had given up on that spot quite some time ago. Perhaps I need to rethink that strategy.

2017-09-06 14.51.47.jpg

And these guys. I suspect these are Honeys perhaps?

2017-09-06 15.06.45.jpg

Never found a hen while driving, oysters -yes. But then again, I don't find many of hens while on foot either.

Mushrooms on the last photo look like honey mushrooms to me.

my 'drive by' success has only ever been sulfur shelf, dryad and oyster....but they are all pretty easy, especially the pheasant back.  Where i'm at the leaves aren't out full yet and you can see a good distance in the woods when they are out early.

I read the subject of the topic and thought it was about something completely different... I am finding myself looking for mushrooms from my car in the swales and for forth as I drive along to work and to exercise.

I am actually going to delay my exercise till much later tonight so I can take advantage of mushroom hunting in early evening light.

There are some monsters growing for sure after recent rains.

I found about 9 Sheepshead today but most were babies... some about the size of a golf ball. I saw these from about 70-80 yards away across a big clearing, and when I got there, saw there were several tiny ones just starting.

2017-09-07 16.22.27.jpg

There's three little ones starting on the other side of the tree. I'm going to try to take pics as they grow. They are in a VERY busy part of a city park though, so someone else may cut them.

2017-09-07 16.23.06.jpg

I found these Jacks right along the road as I was checking on a spot where I found Hens last year during a drive-by.

2017-09-07 16.24.43.jpg