King Bolete?

SheepHeadReaper

Those all look like King Boletes, one or more species in the Boletus edulis group. To eliminate the possibility of a bitter non-staining Tylopilus --if suspected-- nibbling/spitting a tiny amount is okay. (Some males lack the bitter taste bud and therefore don't detect the bitter.) 

Nice to see the edulis is out in NE PA. I'll need to check my spots this week.

The entire King Bolete mushroom is excellent, as long as it's not bug-infested or so old/blown-out that the texture is very flabby. 

I use most of my best boletes dried/rehydrated in soups, sauces, risottos and other dishes where the rehydrating liquid may be incorporated into the meal. Even the old blown-out boletes may be dried/rehydrated and used to make a soup where the rehydrated mushrooms are pulverized/pureed in a food processor. 

4 hours ago, CajunShroomer3578 said:

Dave , you mention that some males lack bitter taste buds..... what's the deal with that ? Is very rare for a female to lack bitter taste buds?

Some people can't taste some bitter compounds due to genetics, but it is not linked to sex. This may be something else, but everyone has taste buds that pick up bitter at the back of their tongues (evolutionarily to detect poison).

I may be incorrect about the gender connection to the lack of bitter taste detection. I've heard only males lack this ability (a few different times).

A male friend of mine has greatly diminished bitter sense. (He doesn't like chanterelles... he says they're too perfumey.) He's a bit hesitant about cooking up some Tylopilus felleus, as he doesn't want to introduce an unwanted flavor into the skillet. A friend of mine once ran across a guy in the woods who popped an entire raw felleus into his mouth, consumed it, and praised it's excellent flavor...! One guidebook I have says that T. felleus is an excellent edible for anyone who lacks the bitter sense. 

11 hours ago, Old Oak said:

? That would be pretty sweet to be able to pick the bitter boletes. No competition for those spots!!

I have a spot where Tylopilus grow about 10 to 1 to other boletes. I would only need to go out every few years. lol