Please identify

Yobenny

These look like some type of Pluteus, but I'm not familiar with eastern species. Michael Kuo's MushroomExpert Website has a key to 65 species, but it's a bit daunting to use it. Maybe one of the eastern members will recognize this species.

I agree with vitog. Those look like a type of Pluteus. The one photo appears to show gills that are not at all attached to the stem... called "free gills". But gills that are attached sometimes pull/break away from the stalk. And the little nipple-like centers of the caps also have me just a bit worried, as this is a feature associated with some Entoloma species, a genus where most of the mushroom species are poisonous.

I think they are Pluteus. But my level of confidence is not really high. Spore print color will not clear this up, in this case. Print colors for Pluteus species and Entolomas are pretty similar, pink/salmon.

• 2 weeks later...