Best Smelling Mushroom Ever!

angela

In my yard under one of my loblolly pines, in the pine duff, various lactarius-looking (to me) mushrooms have popped up.  I finally got around to checking them out to see if they had milk or smelled fishy.  Nope.  I noticed no milk and the smell was heavenly.  They smell like marzipan.  Sweet almond, not bitter.  

I picked one opened one and one that was barely up.  The smaller one shattered when I picked it.  They come up very, very dirty.  I'm not sure how to put text with the pictures so I will describe the pictures here and see if I can insert the pictures where I want them.

One is growing in place with a side view. (A different mushroom physically but it came up today and I believe it is the same thing).

One is growing in place with a top view (same as above--not the one I spore-printed). 

One is taken after spore printing (white spore print) and shows the underside of the cap.

One is taken after spore printing and I tried to wash the cap up so it is wet (and still wearing some debris).

Does anyone know what they are?

almond1.JPG

almond_top.JPG

almondtopwashed.JPG

almondunderside.JPG

Thanks,.  I think it could be one of those or something similar.  The sweet smell also could be maraschino cherry.  I was just smelling it again and thinking that.  Since it's in the part of my yard with the loblolly pine, I think Russula fragrantissima is likelier.  I have a Japanese maple on the other side of the fence, but it's the pine that it is actually growing under.  There is also a dead white pine and a living one near by (and a privet bush).

I think it's a species of Tricholoma but I might be wrong. Looks like a mushroom I find plenty of in the fall under pines, the smell is so strong that I smell it as I hike, sickening sweet, like rotting cake.

This is one of the "foetid Russulas". Although these are generally described as foul-smelling, the odor of fresh material may smell quite nice... almonds, Maraschino cherries. These types of mushrooms have a bad rep as sickeners. Here's an example  http://www.mushroomexpert.com/russula_mutabilis.html .