Out of My Element... Large, White, Sweet, and Musky

While on a trip to New York state, some friends spotted these mushrooms and asked me to identify them. Well, I've never seen any like this in person and being several states away, I didn't know what they were. Here is what I did observe. Maybe you can help me.

These mushrooms were past maturity. They were dried out and pretty light. The past few days we had 90° weather. They were in a town north east of Manhattan. Far enough away not to be dense city. Mostly a suburb. The soil around the hotel was kind of sandy black dirt. They seemed to be growing near some bushes. There were mixed trees around, mainly hardwoods. The photos don't show the scale very well. These mushrooms were about 8-10 inches in diameter. Thanks for any direction you can give. :)

cap.jpg

gills.jpg

Thank you, guys. I've never found these before so can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure the next state of these mushrooms was going to be dust. They were pretty dehydrated. At least I have some direction if I find something like it again. :)