Anyone? Anything?

How's it going in your neck of the woods guys? I hiked Long island and parts of Catskills recently, there's literally nothing out there. I'm not even talking about edibles. Even Amanitas are not present, it's quite depressing. Awaiting for some heavy rain tomorrow, maybe it will change things around by the end of the week.

Anyone has better luck? I need to envy someone haha.

We've had a drought through June and July so I haven't seen very many mushrooms of any kind since May. Just had our first significant rainfall over the weekend so I'm going to take off Wednesday and hopefully find something. Really want to find the bi-color type boletes I found last year and test them with ammonia.

Its been an odd year. I haven't had much of a chance to get out and forage this year. When I did it was slow. We had no rain for a while. Then it rained and I didn't get a chance to forage. Now we're in a dry spell again. Oh well, I just hope we get a little rain so I can get my easy picks... the Miatake in the front yard.

Vancouver and Seattle have been dry since mid-June and probably will stay that way until the end of August at least.  Summer is normally time to pursue other outdoor activities in this region.

August in SC Pennsylvania has been surprisingly wet this summer! I've been up to the mountains twice and each time I've seen tons of Lactarius and my first ever chanterelles (besides the small cinnabars). You ought to take a trip down to this area. 

Andy

ok, this year so far is different to last season. No chicken of the woods yet for me which is so odd! more moisture compared to last year ...so bring on the red chanterelles, yet to get! heres examples of what i have found this year, for your viewing pleasure! hope to continue picking into August, Sept, Oct !

SAM_1429.jpg

SAM_1430 sm.jpeg

SAM_1431.jpg

SAM_1436.jpg

SAM_1438.jpg

SAM_1454.jpg

SAM_1433.jpg

SAM_1456.jpg

SAM_1464.jpg

SAM_1472.jpg

SAM_1481.jpg

SAM_1515.jpg

SAM_1522.jpg

SAM_1526.jpg

SAM_1531.jpg

SAM_1532.jpg

oh nice, those chanties look meaty. One day I'll harvest this many, something to look forward to!

Looks like New Jersey and PA had plenty rain recently, will try my best to head out there and find at least one King Bolete and a few chanties.

Dry here for nearly a month with only the occasional thunderstorm and the ever persistent blue staining bolete, but my area was soaked last night and today for a good 14hours.  Last week while out looking at job with a suppertenant I spotted a chicken way down hill next to a creek as we where backing out of driveway,had to leave it due to buisness......sucked. Nothing to envy!High hopes for the next few days though.

IMG_20170803_141719533.jpg

IMG_20170803_141657596.jpg

Fingers crossed Matt, I have similar hopes for Long Island, just not sure if one downpour is enough, hopefully it is!

As MattVA said, it has been pretty dry around here lately until it rained Monday/Tuesday.  Over the weekend I found a couple small oyster mushrooms, but I am hoping to do a lot better this weekend.  I've found a few boletes this season, with only the gilled bolete being worth a darn.  Last year they were all over (although most were bitter).

Short walk today produced a past prime, buggy Chicken. I salved a little bit but I daughbt it's gonna be much to it.  A few chantie buttons but still not many new shrooms popping. Gonna try again in a couple more days. 

IMG_20170809_171728.jpg

Hiked in Westchester today for 4 hrs, mostly deciduous trees, 300-800ft elevations. They had 1" of rain on Saturday, another 0.5" this Monday. Ground is moist, mushrooms are absent, except a few (and I mean 2-3) Tylopilus, and Russula...and aome shroom I'm not familiar with. Is it not enough time or what? Seems like enough precipitation, no?

I found a red pored bolete today that resembles or is possibly a Frostii (will post in ID)that looked like it was fairly fresh also a fresh Berkeleys. I have to go when I have the time but I think my area needs another 48 hours. Did not see a single russula or milky today which would have seemed impossible a month ago....very few LBMs ....just overall poor . At least where trying EB.

90%/10%, pitch pine/poplar woods proved to be a little more promising. Found some Amanitas, some sort of blueing boletes, 2 Leccinums, and the biggest non-buggy chant I've ever found! So, quite happy. I know, for most of you such chant is nothing, but I have a hard time finding them, so all of you finding them by bucketfulls, I hope you don't take it for granted, for some of us it's only a dream:))

IMG_9059.JPG

IMG_9058.JPG

IMG_9063.JPG

IMG_9065.JPG

IMG_9067.JPG

IMG_9068.JPG

IMG_9069.JPG

I feel ya on the chants EB! In my short time doing this, this being my second season  a few dozen is the most I have found at any one outing. It's always more like a Easter egg hunt for me not the forest floor littered with chants like gold coins like I see some folks find. EB do you eat any Leccinums?

Staveshaver,did you get a Gill shot on those last shrooms you just posted the pic of?

In Northern Manitoba we had an incredible spring for oysters, and not a single mushroom since. I mean that literally. I have not seen a non-bracket mushroom since the middle of June. Normally I would be knee deep in assorted boletes right now. I haven't even seen a stinking russula yet.

Just now, GCn15 said:

In Northern Manitoba we had an incredible spring for oysters, and not a single mushroom since. I mean that literally. I have not seen a non-bracket mushroom since the middle of June. Normally I would be knee deep in assorted boletes right now. I haven't even seen a stinking russula yet. Wet spring tho, and lots of undergrowth really took off because of that.