My dad and I found so many of these tonight.  We left much more than we took as well, as it is a public space and others might stumble upon them (also so they can spore). They grew for the most part under beech and maple, usually on slopes which were grassy with little else as far as vegetation. I think they're all the same. They seem to smell sweet and fruity (I can see why they say apricots but the smell also reminds me of earwigs if you have ever smelled them) 

the lighting makes them look less orange but they have an orange tint.

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5145.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still working on learning how people judge buggy-ness of mushrooms and whether to eat them.  Or how to deal remove bugs.  I found my first chanterelles earlier this season and they looked about like @Yergaderga's. I kept some by tossed some, then dried them.  Now I'm thinking I should have kept mor

Would everyone here eat these ones (based on what you can see)?  And how do you judge what's too buggy?

In the Chanterelles I find, it seems a few bugs get to them early on, but only eat a tunnel up through the stem and usually out the top. If the shroom looks good otherwise, I keep it, then when i get home, discard the stem, tear the mushroom in half right through the bug hole and rinse and clean around the affected area with a knife or soft toothbrush. If they're quite a bit older and the tops have bug holes throughout, or a slug's been eating underneath, I leave them where I found them.

2 hours ago, Matt McDermott said:

I'm not saying its right or recommended, but I have trimmed up and eaten some pretty buggy mushrooms....I will discard stems and caps that are riddled with holes, but a few holes don't stop me.

We've all eaten bugs or larvae in our mushrooms, no matter how careful we think we are.

By the time chantys start popping here in South Louisiana after winter! I can't wait to eat some big infested chanterelles!! Lol Not much to harvest during the so called winter months here in the south. I've noticed that the bugs are only really bad at the beginning of the season. I'm sure this discussion has come up previously but I'm just curious,  what's y'all  theory on why the tunnel/burrowing bugs pretty much disappear later in the summer ? Maybe it's just that their breeding season coincides with first fruitings or there is lack of moisture else where so they tend to habitat fungi in general 

PS. Sorry if I high jack your thread Yergaderger

Not sure about the answer to your question, Cajun. But I think either of the ideas you suggest is a potential answer. Maybe availability of moisture and breeding go hand-in-hand for the burrowing bugs...? 

Interestingly, the western NA chanties --which do not include C. lateritius, the Smooth Chanterelle-- rarely become infested (according to David Arora, and also what I have noticed when collecting chanties in Oregon and Montana). Also, according to folks out in California whom I've spoken with, there's a species of nice big yellow chantie out there that doesn't have much flavor. 

In 45 years of collecting Chanterelles on the west coast, I only came upon one specimen that was wormy.  And that specimen was either right next to or touching a wormy Russula.

7 hours ago, vitog said:

In 45 years of collecting Chanterelles on the west coast, I only came upon one specimen that was wormy.  And that specimen was either right next to or touching a wormy Russula.

Wow. That is interesting.  I would be 180 on this.  I'm not sure I've ever collected one that didn't have at least one worm hole in the stem.