Ticks and permethrin

First of all, how are ticks in your area this year? For me, this is by far the worst year in a long time. I'm wearing permethrin-treated clothes, and still every hike I pick off 3-5 ticks, mostly large Lone Star and deer ticks. Last year I found 2 on me for the whole season.

Now, about permethrin. I guess, this being a bad year, puts a good test on permethrin's usefullness. As I mentioned above, I still find ticks on me, but they act strange, for the most part, crawling in circles, or downwards, I guess trying to jump off; sometimes not moving at all. One large Lone Star was crawling upwards on my pants like nothing happened, however I've never seen them move so fast. I'd say, about an inch in 3 seconds. Was it because of permethrin or was it just hungry, I'm not sure.

So, there's definitely some effect from permethrin, but what if I don't notice them, will they still make their way onto my skin eventually? That is the question. 

What is your experience this year and in general?

eat-bolete , I have no experience with permethrin so can't comment on it .  But ticks have been bad here in Va. as well . However they don't seem to like me as much as my son, or my lady .. We all 3 went for a hunt Sunday , and she found 6 ticks, and my son 5 , I had none ..We used no repellent, as I forgot it in the truck . We usually use a deet based repellent , but even that has limited success on ticks ..  Nasty lil buggers !  This time of year we also get those lil seed ticks . You can get into those things and end up with a swarm crawling up your leg ! I hate blood suckers, and would love to find a solution .. 

Thanks Adawg. I tried Deet based sprays, they don't really help against ticks, only mosquitos, and I heard they are pretty bad for your skin, so whenever in the woods I try to find sassafras leaves to protect myself against the flying bloodsuckers. As for ticks, I'll keep permethrinning my clothes, at least it does protect somewhat.

Even with 95 degree temperatures here in South Louisiana, I find it very effective to wear knee high boots and tuck my jeans in them and tape em up. I also spray any product containing deet on me. Definitely helps for the flying blood suckers. After finding out what happened to a friends friend, I'll much rather sweat and be miserable a few hours rather than be paralyzed for life from contracting Lyme's disease. 

Agreed, I always wear long pants, they have ties on the bottom, so I tighten the hems around boots so none can crawl under.

Camille, yes I do. Can't say it deters mosquitos as well as DEET based sprays, but, unless I'm being eaten alive, it works well enough, and sure smells better.

Permethrin is a contact insecticide so they are probably acting weird because the longer they are exposed the more neurological damage they experience.  That's why they are acting weird when they stay on your clothes rather than just jumping off. 

Yes I hate those too. Neither deet nor sassafras keep them away. So I don't go out in the woods without my hat, that's the only thing that helps. I rarely wear it, mostly using it to swat flies and mosquitos.

I had Lyme pretty bad starting in 2011. It took me about 2 years to get diagnosed, treated, and back to good health. I won't go into all of the details here unless someone requests info or help, but it was bad. A very dark time. I do what I can now to keep those and other blood suckers off of me, including Permethrin on my clothes and boots, and deep woods Off on my skin.

I'm in western Pa and the ticks have been increasingly bad the last several years, but for some reason, this year I've seen very, very few. I'm hoping they're on the decline, but have my doubts. They seem to be worse in the spring and fall, as part of their life cycle. Dang, I hate them things.