about cameras/mushroom photography

I finally bought the camera I had mentioned in Good Cameras for Mushroom Close-ups back in the spring. Its been a learning process for the last few weeks, but I'm catching on. The camera is an Olympus OM-D E-M10 mark II and I have a 14-45mm lens and a 40-150mm lens. Its a mirrorless camera and with the smaller lens doesn't take up too much space to carry along. There haven't been many mushrooms this year, but I found a few yesterday to mess around with. Its capable with both lenses, yet I feel Id do better with a macro lens. On the other hand it has a focus bracketing feature that can be used if you are more serious about the picture aspect. I didn't find the opportunity to try it on a mushroom, but did have success with a rhododendron bloom. The software stacked 9 images for the final result. 

P7030216.jpg

P7030293.jpg

P7030303.jpg

Rhododendron_9_frames_bracketing.jpg

Yes it does grab the light good. I'm figuring it out slowly a thousand deleted pictures lately. Next to capturing all of PAs wildlife I'm hoping to get some good pics of the main mushrooms. I have plenty to keep me busy for a while.

thanks for the good words.

Honestly Dave, the best I could come up with is a dirty C. ignicolor. It looks meaty; I wish I'd have taken a better look. I was too caught up in lens play lol. 

Thanks gentlemen. I found some Amanita's popping today I'm going to see if they're worth keeping later. 

The photo looks nice, mushroom looks a little faded. What do you mean by slight noise? If your near North Park (Allegheny County) the grass cut areas in the oak trees are great areas for shrooms (a little spotty now). Lots of opportunities for photos.

Thanks Bob,

If zoomed up all of the way there is a little distortion near the bottom edge of the mushroom. I believe that is from the stacking of the pictures and maybe a slight movement from not using a tripod. 

Thanks for the tip. Im not far from North Park and have considered going to Hartford Manor also, just my time has been limited and choices bad so far. I haven't even found a chanterelle or trumpet so far this year. Not my best year for shrooming. Funny it's been so rainy and hot.

Smooth chantys, trumpets, the big bi-colors & the small (campestris?), granulatus, black stainers, quilted russula,. It's spotty but there are some hot areas. I'm surprised that oysters are not poppin. Looks like rain thru this week. Hartwood is also nice, up by the mansion. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I tell you Dave , I'm having great fun with it. I've few mushroom photos to date worth keeping , but have a few handfuls of deer, turkeys and other critters that posed for me. Today a deer and some ducks were the highlights. I'm hoping to get some good mushroom hunting in as fall approaches, but my schedule is still tough. So until then it's sticking to the local woodlot. 

Here is another chicken mushroom I stacked 21 pictures to get. Not great, but good practice,

IMG_0082.jpg

P8110168.jpg

P8110208.jpg