Boletus oliveisporus

Found few Boletus oliveisporus (as suggested by Dave last year) today. I was cautious at first since it is blue staining bolete (turning brown in few minutes), however, I tried it a few times without any adverse effects, decent taste. It is the only bolete I can find in pine barrens in decent quantities during summer .

Boletus oliveisporus.jpg

This parallels my experience with the similar Cyanoboletus pulverulentus. It grows in my yard, sometimes in decent quantity. Kinda freaked me out eating this crazy stainer! But it's actually a decent edible.  595927915bac5_Cyanoboletuspulverulentus239front10-84.thumb.jpg.cccaebfbe51ff1219ef60184eed309cd.jpg

Beginners are generally taught to avoid both red-pored and blue staining boletes, because these two groups include species that have bad reputations as sickeners. But a few blue-staining types are good edibles. For example, Gyroporus cyanescens --which Audubon calls the "Bluing Bolete"-- is an excellent edible. http://www.mushroomexpert.com/gyroporus_cyanescens.html   I was really certain of my pulverulentus ID before I tried eating this type. Recorded as edible. Recent reports suggest that at least some of the red-pore types may be edible... at least after par-boiling. I still haven't found the nerve to try any of these. 

Boletus huronensis has perhaps the worst reputation as a toxic bolete. It does not have red pores and blue staining on the cut flesh is slight.