Just a Reminder ... Be Safe

Thanks for sharing. My wife asked me if I new what the death cap was recently. She had read a story about a bunch of people in California eating these (recently?). It sounds like conditions are good for them to grow this year in California.

Every time I hear about people consuming death cap, it just makes me mad instead of feeling bad for them. Especially those who feed mushrooms to 18-month babies.

Most victims of life-threatening mushroom poisoning in North America are people from Southeast Asia—Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Viet Nam. They apparently mistake Death Caps for edible "Paddy-Straw" (Volvariella volvacea) mushrooms. The two are similar in several ways—cap color, size, and the white "cup" around the base of the stalk—but different in others (for example, the Paddy-Straw has a pink spore print, the Death Cap a white spore print; and the Death Cap has a partial veil). The Paddy Straw mushroom occurs in tropical and temperate areas worldwide, and is especially common in Southeast Asia; the Death Cap, alas, does not occur in Southeast Asia, so folks from that part of the world are unaware of the lethal "look-alike."

In North America, Death Cap poisonings have been reported from California, Oregon, and New York. In New York, the only known victims to date were natives of Laos. In California and in Oregon, most reported Death Cap poisonings have also involved Southeast Asian immigrants.

Taken from David Fischer's website: http://americanmushrooms.com