Coprinopsis variegata, the scaly inky cap.

Found large fruiting, 5-24 of these beautiful mushrooms at the base of a large dead hardwood. They are much larger than their relative the inky cap. I didn't have the nerve to try them since they have a reputation as a sickener when alcohol is involved. Supposed to be better than the shaggy mane. Pretty confident about the identification. Does anybody have an opinion on their food quality. The buttons still look fresh, 5-25, with no deliquescing.

20170524_175503.jpg

20170524_175346.jpg

20170524_175155.jpg

20170524_175122.jpg

20170524_175935.jpg

Some of them look like they were fresh enough but looks can sometimes be deceiving. It sounds like you took a look at the gills to determine their health. That is how I decide if I'm going to eat them. And if I find some, I usually make them within an hour of harvesting. Although, I've only had Coprinus comatus (shaggy mane). The mushrooms you found might be a little different as far as how long they stay edible after harvesting.

I'm curious, what camera were you using? It almost looks like you had an IR filter on the camera. It looks kind of cool. Just curious :-)

I have a Galaxy J3 6 V phone and did use the  grey effect to get the color a little closer. Except for a couple that were curling and black, these shrooms were in prime condition. On my phone the photos have a yellower tint. 

C. variegata looks like the correct ID. Reports indicate this species may contain coprine, and thus cause sickness for anyone who consumes it with alcohol, or even before or after alcohol has been consumed. The alcohol/coprine poisoning can produce temporary but fairly extreme symptoms in some people. 

Found some more today in park wood chips. Photo without effects. These mushrooms are getting a lot of direct sunlight. They were in great condition but didn't have the impressive look that first group had. The first group was fully shaded.

20170528_143805.jpg

20170528_143843.jpg