It's summer time in South Louisiana!

Coming soon to a set of woods near you !!!!!!! 

The 3 whole days of spring in South Louisiana were nice(sarcasm), but I'm ready for summer mushrooms. Not much popping here during early spring. Decided to go out for a few hours this morning even though it's been pretty dry. Wasn't quite sure if they were gonna popping but someone once told me, you won't know unless you go. Checked out a few spots I've been eyeing all winter and managed to scrap up two baskets. Supposed to be getting some showers over the weekend so this next week ought to really get thing popping 

Oh and the crabs are running!! Lol

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

Awesome Cajun! Crabs are running here too, my brother has been catching good numbers. I have not had a chance to go yet. Perhaps some of those Cinnabars in a cream sauce over a crab cake/ball would be good........I thought about this with lobster but I think crab would work. Do you gig frogs Cajun? I went last night but the grass was starting to get bad but we managed some nice ones. Great stuff man looks like my kinda fun!

I sure didn't know that Dave. I'll have to whip up a little something in the near future. Crabs didn't last a day. 

Yes that does sound pretty tasty Matt but I've never brought myself to peel crabs for the lump meat yet lol. They're just so darn good fresh out the pot !!

I don't believe gigging is legal in Louisiana. I was brought up grabbing by hand so we've never used gigs. The season is actually closed right now. It closes April and May for spawning. But you bet your ass I'll be taking off the night of May 31st in hopes to be bagging some for 12:01 am. Lol. I think I may have to pair some frogs and fresh mushrooms. Any ideas ?

Here's a few whoopers from last year......

IMG_2356.JPG

Well actually we don't use gigs much either but here it is legal to use them and traditionaly is still called gigging or frogging. I hand grab as well when they are out in open or in deep water. Sometimes on private property when they are in thick areas we use .22 with ratshot which is legal here.

Those are monsters! We might get a few that large a season.

As for Froggy Shrooms, I fried some last year boneless tempura style then set meat aside. Sauteed some Chanterelles with fresh garlic and scallions then made a thin chicken stock based gravy (shrimp stock would possibly be better) added the crispy frog back into the mixture and pour over a bed of rice......works for me. 

Also frog is good done Asian style tempura with a soy based sauce but I never done it with Chanterelles or any mushrooms for that matter. Hard to mess up with frogs!

Thanks Trout !! 

I'm definitely going to doing some experimenting soon Matt !! Thanks 

Not sure I'll be trying any Russula's anytime soon Old Oak. Just not confident enough yet in IDing them. Thanks though! 

A...........EEEEEEE Adawg !!! Lol 

The sooner you move down south the sooner you can enjoy all this !!

Tasso, I've been keeping my eyes peeled for black trumpets. None yet. Thanks for the suggestion ?

Thanks MushromDan !! 

Adawg, the offer is still on the table. Let me know when you head this way. I don't drink but we sure can enjoy some good eating!!