Tick trick

We all here spend time outdoors, and ticks are just a part of that .. I have found several ticks already . How best to remove the lil blood suckers ? Just thought I would pass this along, as it actually worked . This trick was passed on to me by my mom, but I was skeptical at first . 3 days ago I found a deer tick attached to my chest . Tiny, nasty lil bugers, and can carry lyme . Anyway, we poured a bit of liquid soap on a cotton ball, placed that on the tick, and waited a couple of minutes . Sure enough when I removed to cotton ball, the tick came with it ! 

I don't get ticks in me often, but will have to remember that. Thanks Adawg! I usually just put my fingernails around them and pull them straight out. I have more problems with the dogs picking them up. I recently started using a Seresto Collar and it seems to not only kill ticks , but leave them in the woods. Frontline and Advantix seem to have lost their effectiveness anymore. 

I believe I had Lymes earlier this year. No bullseye present , but every other symptom followed a bump on the back of my neck under my hair. The doctor didn't even test she just prescribed the Doxy and next to not being able to eat right for months the vanquishing of chances  at acute Lymes was relieving.

I have always just pulled them off also . But that can leave a part(head) of the tick .. Haven't tried the soap trick on my dogs, but will give it a try .. I have worked for the U.S. Postal service for a long time, and got the flu back when the anthrax letters went out .. A few of our bros got killed or sickened by it . My doc gave me a vaccine as precaution, as the test results take too long to come back .. Luckily it wasn't anthrax, but have had a hard time with anti bio's ever since .. Doxy's are the worst ! Prevention is better than treatment ..

I take the obvious prevention routes although I could try harder. I think clothing spray  and light colored pants tucked into your boots are going to have to become my go to hiking clothes. Unfortuntely I normally am lazy and go for my walks soon after work with out caring. Haha, I guess I'd rather take my chances than have twice the Laundry every week :)

is that sad ?

I treat my hiking pants and shirts with Permethrin. The stuff works. They also sell those tick keys. When you break the head from the body they regurgitate, which can lead to higher exposure rates to tick borne illness. These keys and the soap method don't damage the tick during removal.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Ticked-Off-Remover-family/dp/B00CAQ7C8K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493921455&sr=8-2&keywords=tick+remover+tool

Tried the key, it's quite useless on tiny ones, should work nicely on bigger ones though.

Soap method, just like vaseline, oil, or that special liquid they sell on amazon, don't remember the name, will all work, but all create a chance that the tick will regurgitate. The best method is still the fine-pointed twizzers, always carry them in my backpack. Grab them close to your skin, never the belly.

Permethrin is really great to treat cloth with for prevention, just buy the concentrated stuff and dilite, much cheaper that way.