First Morel !! April 09 2017 ..

Went on a hunt this am here in Rappahannock Co. Virginia, and after much searching, found my first morel of 2017 . Did not pick it, as it was way to small, but I think it was a black . Sorry no pics .. Only found that 1 lone morel, but a good sign for the week to come .. If we keep the moisture and warmth, I think it's on here very soon !

First morel today, 4/12. Only one. Zig-zagged along the bottom of a south facing ridge of tulip poplar and white ash for about 90 minutes to find it. Should be more a few days from now.

Morchella angusticeps.   Morchella_angusticeps_Sh2_2-12_1.thumb.JPG.cb7f86ad74682318cd2abb62c78f39fe.JPGMorchella_angusticeps_Sh2_2-12_3.thumb.JPG.a67f4f3dbccb75c5afceda7165d51e3b.JPG

Early on, there's always plenty of hepatica in my morel spot.   Hepatica_Sh2_4-12_A.thumb.JPG.7bc5640a0dc6e1bfeb9b25f072fe94c6.JPG

Well, now that they've started popping, time to get out and fill a few bags... right? My wife and I went to our best spot last Monday --after sunny 84F weather followed by 0.3 inch rainfall, a seemingly perfect setup-- and found not a single Black Morel (still too early for the yellows around here). So maybe I've finally learned my lesson. There's just no way to predict when and how many morels will show up in the forest. 

Quite mysterious, really. I have no explanation for the reluctance of the Black Morels to show up in patches of 10-20 here and there across the half mile long ridge where I expected to see them. During the decade 2000-2009 there were some prolific fruitings, 100 during one day and another 100 in the same spots two days later. The only idea that comes to mind is that this species cycles through periods (years) when virtually all energy is devoted to spreading mycelium and other periods when energy is devoted to reproduction (mushrooms). 

Rainy period forecast for the next few days. I'll be back out at my spot soon. One never knows...

We poked around the woods yesterday and only found one. We only checked a few small spots that normally have some of the earlier blacks. Getting some rain now. Hopefully we get a decent fruiting. We haven't had a decent flush of blacks in a few years. We are expecting warm weather the next two days. Maybe that will get them going.

Oh yeah ! It's on here ! Hunted for about 1 1/2 hrs today, and came out with at least 3 lbs .. Maybe not much for midwest standards, but a banner day for us ! As a bonus, when we got home, we stopped at the mailbox and found a bunch of Agaricus campestris ! Fresh, pink gilled, and heavy ! Life is good !! LOL ! Will try again to post pics, but seems like windows 10 and my camera don't get along .

Dave, tulip poplar are the main trees producing here that I have seen .. 'The Inn at Little Washington' (a local restaurant) , posted on facebook that someone brought in 20 lbs for sale the same day ! Mainly big blonds . That is what I found as well . I was disappointed in the flavor though . Rather bland compared to others I have found . Maybe too much rain ? Dunno .. We made roast cornish hens with morel sauce, and the mushrooms added next to no flavor . Am making omelets now hoping for better results .

Morels need to be well-salted to bring out the flavor. Also, dehydrated material seems to come back with stronger flavor. I dehydrate 90% of my morels, and then use them whenever I want, usually to make specialty dishes... grilled lamb chops with morels, mild Indian style curry with morels and potatoes, morel bread pudding, risotto. The re-hydration liquid takes on the flavor and becomes part of the recipe. I re-hydrate in stock, half & half, coconut milk, or water depending on the recipe. 

I'm guessing the 20 pounds of big blondes were possibly collected under recently dead elm. I have heard these spots may be found in VA.