Help Iding Please

cris plunkett

I think you mean the cap is 18 cm across. 

Looks like maybe a species of Hygrophorus. Do I see some bluish staining on the gills and/or broken flesh? The mushroom highest up, left center, third photo down, looks like it has blue staining along the cap margin. The reason why I ask is this looks a little like Hygrophorus caeruleus. If so, then the mushrooms should have a strong unpleasant odor. H. caeruleus is reported as occurring mainly in coniferous forests. 

I presume that you meant 180 mm across the cap, or else the mushroom in your hand is not the same one.  We will probably need a spore print to identify it, possibly taste and odor, too.  Oops, I see that Dave W has responded while I was composing my response.

Thanks so much for the help; first time I've used this forum. Obviously I'm a newbie at this and never was good at my metric system.  I looked closer and didn't see any blue staining on the gills and/or broken fleshm; must have just been a reflection in the photo. Smell is definitely just the common store bought agaricus smell (fungal like). It really is a large beautiful muchroom and there are several growing in the same area.  I was hoping something this big would be easily identifiable but then again, you can tell I'm still a naive beginner. Thanks again for the help.

Oops, I missed the white spore print, which narrows the search down a bit.  The closest thing that I could find is  Leucopaxillus albissimus, described in the California Fungi Website at: http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Leucopaxillus_albissimus.html  .  I'm sure that there are other possibilities.