ID help (Wicked cool mushroom)

Help ID please (Wicked cool mushroom) :applause:

Not sure what kind of tree it was growing on. Maybe some kind of willow ? Tree was growing out of the water 

-----Mushroom specimen----

Light brown to dark brown cap. Spore surface does not touch stalk. Really smooth spore surface. Slight reticulation at base of stem. Slighty staining brown when contacted. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That is a wicked cool mushroom, Cajun!  A few questions... The underside of the cap looks to be porous, as in a bolete. But it may just be a covering (partial veil) over a possibly different type of fertile surface. Are you able to scratch away a covering? (I think probably not, as you mention the brown bruising.) What kind of tree was this growing on? Is the tree alive or dead? Is the flesh hard like a polypore? Or does it cut easily with a knife, like a typical bolete? 

My first thought was "Buchwaldoboletus", a genus of pored mushrooms that grow on wood. I've never found one of these. Looking at photos online and reading descriptions, this mushroom seems to not fit the profile of any Buchwaldoboletus. B. lignicola has  a yellow pore surface that is not depressed near the stalk. Actually, this looks nothing like any Buchwaldoboletus species I see documented. 

This reminds me of Boletus nobilis. Very young boletes with immature unopened pores often have smooth fertile surface, which is a trait mentioned. But an example of B. nobilis growing high up out of the side of a large tree would be very unusual. (Although a few times I have found a mycorrhizal bolete growing from the side of a tree near the base; apparently the mycelium is capable of spreading underneath the bark.) Also, the white flaky material seen on the cap underside near the margin is not something I'd expect with B. nobilis. This is the basis of my question about the possibility of an unbroken partial veil. Or... maybe there had been a partial veil...? Pore surface for B. nobilis does not stain/bruise brown. 

Do you still have this mushroom? If you could slice this into a few pieces and dehydrate, it's possible someone may be interested in studying it. If you email me some of the photos, I'll create a post on Mushroom Observer. maybe someone will recognize it? 

Ok .... I have not pin pointed the type of tree yet. It was a live tree. There were no leaves making it hard for me to identify. 

I wasn't sure how to preserve for study so I hadn't sliced it yet incase someone did want to study it. I'll contact a professor at a local college to see if he's interested before sending off. 

Dave, think I can dehydrate in oven ? Wil this do damage?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks John !!

My resources are very limited here in South Louisiana at this time. I'm in the process of trying to get acquainted with liked minded people who share the same interest in fungi. I just wish I had people close to home to share all this with. Sure, I love eating mushrooms, but as time goes on I'm becoming even more interested in much more. Hopefully soon I'll have my little shed/lab built to study these little guys, in hope to be able to contribute knowledge of mushrooms in south Louisiana to someone. Just seems there's not many people at all interested. I apologize..... I'm just ranting lol. Really curious as to what Dave finds out !! 

Wow, what a cool find. Do you have any photos of the leaves on the tree? I may be able to help a little that way. The bark looks like an old oak tree to me but judging by the background of the photos, that is not the usual habitat for the oaks I know of.

Thanks eat-bolete! She is a beauty 

No leaves on the tree Jason. I'm thinking it's a type of oak as well. We have so many different types here and haven't learned them all yet. 

No scare site that was obvious Tasso

Dave posted on MO... here's the link if you guys would like to follow .....

http://mushroomobserver.org/267920

Scales on a cap may get washed off by rainfall. So I wouldn't say "definitely not H. populnea". 

A Mushroom Observer member proposed Cyclocybe (similar to Agrocybe). Neither this proposal nor my H. populnea proposal has received either a supportive of non-supportive vote on MO. A very unusual mushroom. 

• 3 months later...

Ok.....as I was researching the proposal for my most recent post," ID help Pleurotus?", I stumbled upon this picture and site. Now I'm wondering if this is a Oudemansiella 

http://mushroom.pro/c_galleries/nz_aust_2014/pages/2141227.htm

I also ran across that photo of Oudemansiella. I'm not familiar with O. mucida, or the other similar species. But, the gills in the photos seen in this discussion look to be closely-spaced and tinged off-white to beige. I think these traits may point away from Oudemansiella.

• 3 years later...

While out fishing this morning I ran across theses specimens. Had the 4 and 2 year old with me so was only able to snap a few pictures before getting back to entertaining them. 

Growing on a willow tree. I do believe they are the same species. 
 Not in the same swamp. We were hours away from original mushroom location.    Thoughts ???

BF914DE1-131C-4B94-9ADA-7E34286EB74A.jpeg

A8443C4D-DB17-43C9-A572-2F6C33240D9C.jpeg

96ACBDA1-5197-4A6D-AC55-E488D79FCA8D.jpeg

050C7424-1835-45A5-B04B-649B64BAB696.jpeg

745055C6-B02E-4E9F-AC26-2516ACD5096E.jpeg

9ED233A7-9535-4F33-8AC4-2102CD7CB4F1.jpeg

8B7FEFB1-9CAD-4F23-8438-D3A9B41FAC6C.jpeg

No I did not Dave. I’ll try to make it out again to collect a mature specimen for spores. I’ll follow up over the weekend. Definitely a step closer with last proposal but as you mention uncommon in NA 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you get more material and spores drop, then I'd be happy to scope the spores. In the meantime, if you could preserve some material --dried completely and not at too high a temperature-- I have an offer to submit material for DNA sequencing, and this looks like a very good candidate. 

Ok sounds great !!

After clicking on images from https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/poplar-mushroom/ it gives a little description and I noticed this ....... I am 100% certain the last observation was growing from a willow  

9958E7CB-8E61-4329-91BF-ACB0E606B8AD.jpeg

Ok so I went back after letting them mature a bit. I am almost certain that all mushrooms seen in this post are Cyclocybe aergerita and were all growing on willow trees. Also found some information in my new guide Mushrooms of the Gulf Coast 

Shout out to my lovely wife for my birthday gifts !!! Foraging sacks and a new mushroom knife !!!

6D112AB9-F353-4286-85BA-0F1E5ECAEDBE.jpeg

DE4198A4-EA0E-49E6-967D-7C7072608F07.jpeg

516FB6F1-874B-4FB2-8F76-820B34B18F60.jpeg

11B0558B-1D3A-4D4D-8BF2-BF1A07BEF77E.jpeg

3BC3FD24-3DF5-4BF0-83E9-4D5CB5F57872.jpeg

A9DFC866-6DAA-465F-BB9B-F381EB9314DA.jpeg

F748F672-EA07-4CDC-8E5F-26801B6FE7C5.jpeg

F8234B7D-F450-42A3-B5A7-E1F1693BFA75.jpeg

B4034458-6F86-45F7-B8E0-D3E45D991987.jpeg

Just to be sure... the mushrooms seen here are from the same cluster you photographed last Friday... correct? I believe I see the same splinters of wood in Friday's photos as in these latest ones. Nice work getting pics oh the mushrooms at two different stages of growth. I'll copy all the photos directly off this thread. Not sure if this reduces the size of the file. Cajun, when you get a chance, if you could email me just one of these photos as an attachment, I could then compare to see if the size is reduced. But, one way or the other, this is really nice photo-documentation. 

Okay, I think I have this all straightened out. The mushrooms seen here are the same cluster as those photographed/posted last Friday. I called these "Cyclocybe DB A". I believe these are the ones you called "specimen 2" in the email.I have labeled Friday's photos and these the same way, except for the date.

"Specimen 1" seen in the email is a younger cluster photographed only on Sunday 5/10. I called these "Cyclocybe DB B". 

Both collections almost certainly represent the same species. But I can probably verify this if I find some spores with the scope. Might be a little tricky with the younger ones, as the spores may not have matured. 

Good idea including the page of the filed guide. Note the significant difference in spore size between Agrocybe retigera and Agrocybe/Cyclocybe aergerita. If I can find even a few spores, then we should be able to eliminate one or the other of these species from consideration. .... Wait a second... The guide says A. retigera grows on lawns. Just noticed. 

Yes Dave you are correct. Sorry for the confusion. My email must have been hacked. Had issues this morning.

The small cluster of immature mushrooms were found Sunday. Sepcimen Cyclocybe DB B. 

Email sent. I believe it’s done right. I had to send them smaller than actual size this morning. Maybe because I was sending too many ? Just dropped off package at the post office. 3-4 day delivery. 

Thanks again !!

Ha! Well I'm having issues with my email now. But, before it crashed (problem with server) I loaded one of the new versions of the photos you just sent. Beautiful! 

When I get this stuff all organized I'll make two Mushroom Observer posts tonight. Can you give me a fairly specific location?