First score of 2017!

Western North Carolina  at about 2800 ft elv  

Ive been watching these stumps for a while. Occasionally harvesting a pound or two of oysters at a time. Stopped there the other day and was shocked to see these beauties!

I harvested 28 lbs of the absolute best tasting oyster mushrooms I've ever had that day. The three big clusters weighed over 24 lbs combined!!

IMG_6292.JPG

IMG_6295.JPG

IMG_6298.JPG

IMG_6310.JPG

Driving around Raleigh area for the last two days, seeing more oysters from the car just glancing once in a while than while hiking for hours in Long Island...and that's in January! I think I'llbe moving here haha.

First oysters and chicken for the New Years!! Not quite as much as you Bradley but this is my biggest harvest of oysters yet. Spotted them on a dead oak tree on my way to work yesterday afternoon. Stopped on my way home this morning to pick a bit. Beetle free!!

:hampsterdance::bananadance: 

The chicken was actually harvested a couple of weeks ago,during the freeze we had here in South Louisiana. Preserved quite well on the tree until I found it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice finds CajunShroomer! I'm hoping to find some oysters this weekend. Temperatures have warmed up and I think there's enough moisture for a new fruiting. The big freeze we had the other week really put a halt to my oyster harvesting. Let us know how you cook the oysters.

Thanks John !! Good luck !!

I sure will ...... I'm thinking a curry over white rice. Not sure yet. I'm really curious about a risotto. This is the first place I've heard of that. Read up a bit last night on it..... We'll see ??

• 2 weeks later...

Lol trout !! Most of my finds last year were all while driving 

Thanks apocryphon!! 

John.... I made a oyster , potato and eggplant curry sauce. Mixed some tomatoes in there also. I didn't post it because I thought it was just ok. Kinda hard to mess up a curry sauce and I didn't think it was worth posting. Lol It really god though 

A favorite pot-luck party offering of mine is Curried Morels and Potatoes. I use Biryani curry paste and rehydrate the dried morels in coconut milk, which goes into the curry. Best way to salt this is with Thai Fish Sauce, with soy sauce on the table as an additional option. But when I take this to a gathering where there may be some vegetarians attending, I use only soy-sauce. Basmati rice with golden raisins on the side. (There's a great Indian import store in my locale.) I also like shrimp curry with Shiitake mushrooms. 

I actually got the idea of curry from Dave. I also grabbed a few recipes from the web and twisted them up. Curry powder, Thai coconut milk, 1 can of diced tomatoes, a few potatoes, 1 eggplant, and stewed them, tossing coriander in towards the end. It was really good. I'm just a heavy critic when it comes to food. Lol