Mushroom ID in scotland

Megu

Hi guys new here and really only know a little about mushrooms - and have never used a forum before so apologies if my etiquette isn't perfect. Have never went foraging myself but sometimes buy wild and medicinal mushrooms. I saw this yesterday (I'm in Scotland) and thought it might be chaga? Am I just wishful thinking? I wasn't sure if it was because it didn't look like a birch tree to me and there was smaller similar growths further up on high up branches (if I remember correctly it grows near bottom of tree?). It was next to other trees and greenery (not water) but also a main road Might not even be a mushroom at all just a growth on the tree? Sorry I have no idea haha. Thanks

image.jpg

Not Chaga (Inonotus obliquus). I think this is a burl, an abnormality in the grain of the tree. 

Chaga --which looks like a cluster of burnt wood-- grows (possibly exclusively) on birch trees. It's actually a sclerotium --pre fruit-body stage-- of a polypore that eventually grows beneath the bark of the tree.

This looks like a maple tree... at least it's not a birch. 

• 2 weeks later...