Funnel Clitocybe?

nlightenup

Found this mushroom today in an area I visit almost every day, and where I gather many different kinds of mushrooms, including blewits and boletes. Hadn't seen this one before today. I was at first thinking of it as a trumpet, but poking around the internet so far I'm thinking it's likely a funnel clitocybe. The stalk and gills were cream/white when first picked, with brown coloring creeping in since then. It has a lovely aroma! The cap is smooth, dry, and grayish brown. I'll have a spore print come morning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks bunches--

Deb

post-173-0-73267500-1319335832_thumb.jpg

post-173-0-12818300-1319335834_thumb.jpg

post-173-0-30379100-1319335835_thumb.jpg

It would be good to see a photo of the entire mushroom, including the stem base. But I think this may be an example of Clitocybe clavipes. I often find this mushroom in the fall, in a variety of habitat. Spore print should be white.

Funnel Clitocybe (C. gibba) generally has a lighter colored cap; buff, to tan, to light brown.

I think that one or maybe both of these "Clitocybes" may have been recently moved to a new genus. So up-to-date resources may list them differently.

It would be good to see a photo of the entire mushroom, including the stem base. But I think this may be an example of Clitocybe clavipes. I often find this mushroom in the fall, in a variety of habitat. Spore print should be white.

Funnel Clitocybe (C. gibba) generally has a lighter colored cap; buff, to tan, to light brown.

I think that one or maybe both of these "Clitocybes" may have been recently moved to a new genus. So up-to-date resources may list them differently.

Thanks! You are correct--the spore print is white. I collected it on a day I forgot my camera, so no shot of the stem base. (Managed to forget the camera again today, and I have another mystery to post soon.)

Appreciate the help.

Just to be sure that we don't jump to a conclusion... Most Clitocybes have white spore prints, as do a multitude of mushrooms from other genera. Spore print color is just one piece of information used when one *attempts* to arrive at an ID.

Just to be sure that we don't jump to a conclusion... Most Clitocybes have white spore prints, as do a multitude of mushrooms from other genera. Spore print color is just one piece of information used when one *attempts* to arrive at an ID.

I agree completely with this statement, clitocybe family members can be nearly imposible to ID at least for me. I have seem several mushrooms I have "ID'd" at C. Gibba that look completely different from each other. I usually dont even try anymore