Shaggy Parasol

AlBo

Found hundreds of these guys while stalking up on some mule deer in North Dakota today. They were just inside the wood line off of a pasture field. Rich compost soil. Mixed hardwoods. I believe they are the shaggy parasol, C. Rhacodes. Waiting on spore print. I may be going back tomorrow to collect a few more specimens for observation. I guess it is time to admit that I have a problem. The deer were in site, and I was investigating mushrooms! The odor seems a bit strong for my sinus and nearly clogs me up. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some people are sensitive to eating Shaggy Parasols. There are a few different white-spored species that are difficult to tell apart... C. rhacodes, C. olivieri, C. brunneum. 

These look like one of the white-spored types to me. C. molybdites --according to MushroomExpert-- has flesh that does not stain reddish, except maybe in the stalk base. But like vitog says, it's a good idea to see a spore print.

I've been finding a few of these in the last couple months. Beautiful mushrooms. When first cutting the stem the center has soft pithy area which soon breaks down leaving a hollow stem. Is there a particular name for this structure?  Function?

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎14 at 7:11 PM, Dave W said:

For mushrooms species with consistently hollow stem, this will often be listed as an identification trait. There are many types of mushrooms that occur with hollow stem. I have never thought about what function may be served by this feature.

My working theory...and this just a guess...is that mushrooms that grow in dryer, sandier, or compact ground develop hollow stems because the availability of moisture dictates that the fruiting body grow faster because moisture levels are more erratic. Therefore, when a mushroom fruits in proper moisture conditions it develops a hollow stem so that it can divert moisture and it's attention into developing the actual reproduction parts of the mushroom. I could be out to lunch...but something to consider.

I agree that moisture availability is definitely part of the answer.  I've noticed many times that Chanterelles popping up when the soil is fairly dry often have hollow stems.  This adaptability may be one reason why Chanterelles seem to be more tolerant of dry soil than most other types of mushrooms.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2016 at 9:48 PM, AlBo said:

Found hundreds of these guys while stalking up on some mule deer in North Dakota today. They were just inside the wood line off of a pasture field. Rich compost soil. Mixed hardwoods. I believe they are the shaggy parasol, C. Rhacodes. Waiting on spore print. I may be going back tomorrow to collect a few more specimens for observation. I guess it is time to admit that I have a problem. The deer were in site, and I was investigating mushrooms! The odor seems a bit strong for my sinus and nearly clogs me up. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well, sort of did the same. Picked a bunch of parasols, while deer hunting.

Thing is after printing them and eating a couple forgot them in the fridge. Now almost a month later was making a pasta, with goose breast, and  thought "mushrooms would be good in this" . Opened the crisper and saw the the PLASTIC BAG I'd left the parasols in lying there. Expecting a bag of slime I opened it to find perfect mushrooms with stalks that still snapped! 

Did you try yours and if so how were they? Mine were similar to agaricus with a richer flavour and denser texture. Like an amped up portabello.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a spore print from the specimens that I picked. I think they must have been too young. I had hoped to get back out and get some more mature mushrooms to print, but I had a trip to Mississippi planned for thanksgiving. After getting back, we got about 1' of snow! So, I may have to wait until next year to try again at these. I'm still learning, so I really like to investigate before eating. Bummer though!!

On 12/5/2016 at 7:00 PM, bobby b said:

When you look at Rob's 2nd photo you can see that the stem really isn't hollow. It's filled with a soft white substance that collapses if cut lengthwise.

Not Rob but AlBo.

On 12/4/2016 at 10:29 PM, AlBo said:

Unfortunately, I didn't get a spore print from the specimens that I picked. I think they must have been too young. I had hoped to get back out and get some more mature mushrooms to print, but I had a trip to Mississippi planned for thanksgiving. After getting back, we got about 1' of snow! So, I may have to wait until next year to try again at these. I'm still learning, so I really like to investigate before eating. Bummer though!!

Yeah, it's a hard time of year to forage and hunt. If you're uncertain on mushrooms, there's often no chance to go back.

Good on ya to not push the i.d. My friends kids love helping find mushrooms and have to be constantly cautioned on the; be sure it's what you think it is category. Really makes me a better mushroom hunter. Knowing others are looking at you for guidance.

When first learning to ID a potentially edible mushroom type, it is advised to take home at least one collection for initial study... not to eat. It's also a good idea to collect anything that reminds you of the type you believe to be edible, and examine the similarities/differences while comparing with descriptions found in guides.