ID confirmation

joshroom

Found these growing next to cut off balsam stumps. They have a webby veil, yellowish at the stem base, bruise brown when rubbed or cut. I took a spore print and it was white. I am saying these are are one of the armillaria known as honeys

post-69-0-77601800-1318861164_thumb.jpg

post-69-0-91703100-1318861198_thumb.jpg

After par-boiling and draining, I saute slowly for about 15-20 minutes. I cover the pan for the first 5 minutes or so. I add chopped onion after 5-6 minutes and smashed/chopped garlic after 10 minutes. Salt/pepper. Deglaze with a little dry red wine. They are ready to serve as a side. I like them like this alongside beef pot-roast or grilled steak.

Or you may add cooked honeys to stew type dishes, like Beef Stroganof, or Chicken Caccitore.

The long cooking is partly to cook some of the slime away from the caps. Some people don't like honeys on account of the sliminess. But the slow saute cooks most of this away. Honeys have a very resilient texture. They stand up to long cooking.

Try just a little bit first. evidence exists to suggest that some people are quite allergic to Armillarias.

Tried them last night! Best news is, no negative reactions! I wouldn't rate them in my top ten for flavor, but I think I agree with you that they'd be good with steak or maybe a burger with gouda cheese and honey mushrooms. I ate a few pieces and put the rest in the freezer.

Tried them last night! Best news is, no negative reactions! I wouldn't rate them in my top ten for flavor, but I think I agree with you that they'd be good with steak or maybe a burger with gouda cheese and honey mushrooms. I ate a few pieces and put the rest in the freezer.

Don't know what others think but I personally don't par boil them (just sautee in butter & oil) and I rate them very highly for flavor. I guess there can be variations in flavor between populations but the ones around me are excellent (and not very slimy at all for that matter). Just my 2 cents of course.

After par-boiling and draining, I saute slowly for about 15-20 minutes. I cover the pan for the first 5 minutes or so. I add chopped onion after 5-6 minutes and smashed/chopped garlic after 10 minutes. Salt/pepper. Deglaze with a little dry red wine. They are ready to serve as a side. I like them like this alongside beef pot-roast or grilled steak.

Or you may add cooked honeys to stew type dishes, like Beef Stroganof, or Chicken Caccitore.

The long cooking is partly to cook some of the slime away from the caps. Some people don't like honeys on account of the sliminess. But the slow saute cooks most of this away. Honeys have a very resilient texture. They stand up to long cooking.

Try just a little bit first. evidence exists to suggest that some people are quite allergic to Armillarias.

I have never tryed honey mushrooms yet. However, I have picked some, the caps were not slimy, totaly dry. They looked just like the ones Joshroom picked.

Dave, do they turn slimy whey cooking or boiling? Is it only some types of honeys that do that?