New Chanterelle Species Named Cantharellus coccolobae

I finally have a name for my "pink flamingo" chanterelles I have now found in South Florida twice now. I sent specimens to Bart Buyck in Paris and he already knew of this species from the Yucatan in Mexico and from Guadeloupe as well as Cayman Islands. It is a tropical mushroom and has a strict association with Coccoloba species trees. I have found it under both Coccoloba uvifera (sea grapes) and Coccoloba diversifolia (pigeon plum). 

It is a subspecies of C. cinnabarinus and is both edible and delicious. The published paper is now out and my photos were published in the paper as well as my two locations where I found it. Bart Buyck was going to call it something different until he got my specimens and found out that Coccoloba grew in Florida. Once he knew that, he changed the name to Cantharellus coccolobae. It's very exciting to have found a newly described mushroom species. It happens every day, so keep your eyes out and if you see something really unusual, document it! You can read the published paper directly linked under the photos here in this post.

C._coccolobae2.jpg

C._coccolobae3.jpg

C._coccolobae6.jpg

C._coccolobae7.jpg

391_403_Buyck_light.pdf

Thanks, guys. I was so happy to finally, after over two years, have a name for these beauties. It was just icing on the cake to be at the right time to be able to contribute to Bart Buyck's paper he was about to publish. He had no idea that Coccolobo trees grew in Florida so was both surprised and pleased to be able to add another new chanterelle species to the count for the US and North America. I think we are now up to 29 named and described species in North America. Can you believe it?

• 2 weeks later...

I found a few of these here in Athens Georgia. They were growing between a patch of pink chanties and golden chanties. I knew they had to be a hybrid. They were peach colored and looked like a perfect combo of the two. Pics are on my old phone. I'll try to get them transferred to this one so I can send them. They were delicious. 

Just wanted to add that the ones I found were on the side of a ditch growing out of moss. The only trees around were live oaks and beech. Definitely the same exact mushrooms though. 

• 3 years later...

The first time i heard about this mushrom was in martinique in 1987. My friends called it " girolles" or "chanterelles bord de mer" . Because it was very close to our trench chanterelle...After a barth in the caribean sea we went under the cocolabae trees to catch the chanterelles....we cooked it for dîner. Delicious.  Today i went back at the same place...They still was there...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello! Thank you for your post!! I never thought I would try chanterelles living in S. Florida, what a nice surprise when I read it! I need help confirming if I have found them. I did find them under sea-grapes. I have read a couple of books and researched online, so I believe they are it, but would love if you could help me. Thank you!!

chant1.jpg

chant4_habitat.jpg

chant3.jpg

chant2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I live on the east coast of Florida and I found some last year around August-October. This year I went to the same spot and they’re back!! I’m super excited to cook with them later, I was thinking about making a Rizzuto with them. 
I have a bunch of photos I took of them too. 

A204C86E-CE3C-44FD-9A7F-8CC8B5532640.jpeg

22F2B20A-28F3-48DF-A9F0-ABDADFA7FA23.jpeg

88936AB9-4A01-4250-8280-1608A3E37C2F.jpeg

402E1372-C478-4E4B-AB24-987133C26290.jpeg

63F3A666-38B3-430E-869F-BBF0D26151D2.jpeg

E03DDC00-E7FF-4A20-B730-B9AC03E9E982.jpeg

6F3DDD9D-BE13-4855-BCDB-FD2F5B1B935E.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Wow

we are so excited. I have had a large variety of mushroom growing in ATL and recently moved to Dunedin Fl. Discovered cayman Chanterelles in Little Cayman growing crazy wild under coconut tees and sees grapes everywhere . Need more assurances before eating, our versions are very small, yhinoknkg about tenting them

B570C631-F57B-4247-9FB4-D64FCCAC3DE4.jpeg

• 1 year later...