Help ID some Ontario mushrooms

Natasha

I am a new member and new to Ontario mushrooms. I use to pick wild mushrooms over 20 years ago in Siberia, and haven"t been brave enough to try it here in Ontario. Lots of new ones I am lerning about. Over Thansgiving weekend I came accross an ubundunce of different mushrooms. Tryed to identify them and one of them I think is honey mushroom. I am in London ON, and I seen some young ones and also some past their prime, they must still be in season this time in October.

So, here is what I think is a honey mushroom, it had a white spore print,they grew near a stump that was covered in a different mushroom that I could not identify (pictures in the second post). The forest was a mixture of sugar maple, ash, and beech trees. I took these pictures 2 days after picking, so they are looking a little dry, sorry about that.

post-202-0-52100800-1318645790_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-38084700-1318645711_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-06051400-1318645610_thumb.jpg

At another location, I came across this one, the whole tree stump was covered in them, the white spore is visible right on the cap of the mushroom. This one looked like way past its prime time. I also identifyed this one as a honey mushroom. I didn`t pick it, just took a picture of it.

post-202-0-29160900-1318708564_thumb.jpg

Here are some mistery mushrooms for me that I could not identify. They grew on a stump as honey mushrooms, but they were greying colored caps, had brown spore print. They all came from the first location, sugar maple, ash and beech mix forest. From what I seen, it seems like a poisonous mushroom and it didn`t smell good. The first 6 photos are of the same mushrooms.

post-202-0-15607000-1318647212_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-03878000-1318647460_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-20852400-1318647322_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-20619700-1318695291_thumb.jpg

At the bottom of the stem, it seemed like a bud of sume sort, very wet, white and spongy.

post-202-0-33318600-1318647412_thumb.jpg

Here they are seperated from the stem:

post-202-0-97296600-1318647661_thumb.jpg

Then I came across theese white cottony ones, at first I thought they were some sort of a puff ball, but they had a stem and where hollow, or perhaps the cap hasn`t opened up yet, no gills inside. They were very brittle. They grew in the grassy areas near the trees.

post-202-0-76802700-1318694914_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-70732700-1318648184_thumb.jpg

This one also grew near the stump, and also had a brown spore print:

post-202-0-57576600-1318648299_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-90168500-1318648377_thumb.jpg

On another stump, I found some small puff balls. Are these any good to eat?

post-202-0-68760300-1318648633_thumb.jpg

I welcome all input!

The gilled mushroom in the 2 photos above the bottom puffball photo looks like the deer mushroom, Pluteus cervinus. Its spore print looks pink to me, which would be appropriate.

Puffballs that are all white inside are safe to eat, but any I've tried are tasteless and soft. I don't consider any of them worth eating.

The first mushroom In the second post looks kinda old, IDing it would be a guessing game in my opinion. Looks pretty strange though.

All of the top 6 photos in the second post where of the same mushrooms that grew on the stump, and yes some where old and covered in spores, which made them look brown, but after washing the cap, it revealed the true greyish cap.

The gilled mushroom in the 2 photos above the bottom puffball photo looks like the deer mushroom, Pluteus cervinus. Its spore print looks pink to me, which would be appropriate.

Puffballs that are all white inside are safe to eat, but any I've tried are tasteless and soft. I don't consider any of them worth eating.

Thank you.

Natasha, the mushrooms have stems that look very much like honey mushrooms but the caps are more "hairy" than the honey mushrooms I see in my area. I would say that that the mushrooms in the first 2 pictures are probably honey mushrooms but it is difficult to tell for sure from the pictures. Some of the pictures appear a bit fuzzy and I find it difficult to be sure of an identification.

The ones in the first photo look like a type of Honey Mushroom to me. In fact, last Sunday I picked some that looked just like these. The older flatter browner mushrooms with the white spores also look like Honeys. But these are quite old, and a good ID is more difficult to get. Also, old mushrooms like these are not usually that good to eat.

The ones with the "brown" print actually look to me to have a pink print. A very heavy pink print can look brown. I think these are Entoloma abortivum, the Aborted Entoloma. The whitish masses growing next to these mushrooms are the "aborted" mushrooms, which are actually undeveloped Honey Mushrooms that "abort" because the Entoloma attacks them.

The one with the pink (brownish) spore print, and free gills, is probably Pluteus cervinus, like vitog writes.

The puffballs look like Lycoperdon pyriforme. If pure white inside, and there is NOT the outline of a mushroom inside (which would indicate the ball is actually a mushroom button) then puffballs are safe to cook and eat.

The ones in the first photo look like a type of Honey Mushroom to me. In fact, last Sunday I picked some that looked just like these. The older flatter browner mushrooms with the white spores also look like Honeys. But these are quite old, and a good ID is more difficult to get. Also, old mushrooms like these are not usually that good to eat.

The ones with the "brown" print actually look to me to have a pink print. A very heavy pink print can look brown. I think these are Entoloma abortivum, the Aborted Entoloma. The whitish masses growing next to these mushrooms are the "aborted" mushrooms, which are actually undeveloped Honey Mushrooms that "abort" because the Entoloma attacks them.

The one with the pink (brownish) spore print, and free gills, is probably Pluteus cervinus, like vitog writes.

The puffballs look like Lycoperdon pyriforme. If pure white inside, and there is NOT the outline of a mushroom inside (which would indicate the ball is actually a mushroom button) then puffballs are safe to cook and eat

Dave, this is incredibly facinating! Wow! Such a complex relationship with the three mushrooms. One aborting another, and creating something else in the meantime. I did find them all in the same area.

I looked up some of these, and it seems that they are edible. Have you tried Entoloma or the "aborted" mushrooms? Are they safe to eat? I was out today, and they were in superabundance of fresh Entoloma and the "aborted" mushrooms. Didn't see any fresh honeys. We had about 4 days of rain non-stop.

Thank you so much Dave!

The abortive entoloma is edible. Make sure it is pinkish inside. They taste a bit better than ok in my opinion but maybe not choice. When these normally happen in my area there will also be a lot of lobster mushrooms (which are excellent) so I dont pick them often. A big fruiting of honey mushrooms often happens a few days after the aborted ones are seen. I think what happens is that the entoloma are there in the soil and when the honey mushrooms start to fruit they are attacked. This attacking process seems to continue several days and then stops but the honey mushrooms keep on coming.

The abortive entoloma is edible. Make sure it is pinkish inside. They taste a bit better than ok in my opinion but maybe not choice. When these normally happen in my area there will also be a lot of lobster mushrooms (which are excellent) so I dont pick them often. A big fruiting of honey mushrooms often happens a few days after the aborted ones are seen. I think what happens is that the entoloma are there in the soil and when the honey mushrooms start to fruit they are attacked. This attacking process seems to continue several days and then stops but the honey mushrooms keep on coming.

I didn't see any lobster mushrooms, but the forest is now full of falled leafes, and when you don't know where to look, it's almost imposible to find what you are looking for. Where do lobster mushrooms usualy grow and how do you find them?

A week ago is when I picked those mushrooms, and today I went back and there was a lot of new abortive entoloma and Entolomas and also seen some old honeys. You think if I go back in a few days I should see more honey mushrooms? How long does it take for honey mushrooms to come up? Do they continue to come up this time in October? Or what does it depend on?

Are the Gilled Entolomas good to eat? I seen different opinions, some eat them, and enjoy, and also seen that they are poisonous and should be avoided.

Some entoloma are very poisonous and I find it difficult to tell one from another. I simply dont eat any of them. Be very careful with them. Honey mushrooms are very fast and can reach picking size in one or two days. In my experience a forest will experience one really big flush of honeys and when that finishes you can still find some for weeks but there wont be many. It sounds like a flush of honeys is just starting where you are finding the abortive entoloma and if you wanted honey mushrooms you might get lucky if you checked that spot every 2-3 days for about a week. They likely will flush but they also might not.

I have eaten the gilled Abortive Entolomas, and they are good. But like Dufferin writes, some Entoloma species are dangerously poisonous. One characteristic of Entoloma abortivum that is different from most other entolomas is that Entoloma abortivum has decuurent gills. This means the gills run down the stalk. So if you pick only entolomas that grow next to the abortive mushrooms (globs), and the entolomas have decurrent gills, then your probably okay... But even so, eating entolomas is a bit risky. There's always the possibility that a toxic specimen (other species) is growing amongst the good ones.

Some entoloma are very poisonous and I find it difficult to tell one from another. I simply dont eat any of them. Be very careful with them. Honey mushrooms are very fast and can reach picking size in one or two days. In my experience a forest will experience one really big flush of honeys and when that finishes you can still find some for weeks but there wont be many. It sounds like a flush of honeys is just starting where you are finding the abortive entoloma and if you wanted honey mushrooms you might get lucky if you checked that spot every 2-3 days for about a week. They likely will flush but they also might not.

I will be checking that spot. I am hoping to get some honeys to try. Thanks so mush for the info, I have learned so much in this last week.

I have eaten the gilled Abortive Entolomas, and they are good. But like Dufferin writes, some Entoloma species are dangerously poisonous. One characteristic of Entoloma abortivum that is different from most other entolomas is that Entoloma abortivum has decuurent gills. This means the gills run down the stalk. So if you pick only entolomas that grow next to the abortive mushrooms (globs), and the entolomas have decurrent gills, then your probably okay... But even so, eating entolomas is a bit risky. There's always the possibility that a toxic specimen (other species) is growing amongst the good ones.

Dave, your description of gilled Abortive Entolomas seem to match the ones I fond. Though, I am not going to try them just yet. Parboiling or boiling, that detoxifeis the mushroom, right? Did you do that when you eate Entolomas? How did you cook them?

I did not par-boil the Entoloma abortivum. I always par-boil Honey Mushrooms, Armillaria mellea. The honeys contain an indigestible substance that must be cooked out.

Par boiling poisonous mushrooms --including poisonous species of Entoloma-- will not remove the toxins.