My 88yr Grandma and Hens

MattVa

With words like ancient oaks running through my head I decided to look for hens at Grandmas House! These trees have existed for 5 generations of my family and many familys had settled this sight before my great grandfather built the current dwelling circa 1915. Only 5 of the original 11 red oaks remain that surround the old farm house but they are amongst the largest red oaks I have seen in the county.

I headed there with high hopes and the old trees didn't let me down, or should I say tree.  Only one tree was home to the hens but it had 7 Total, two are small maybe 3/4 lb and one pretty dry but I did take 4 ,the biggest was 13.5lb the other three where a couple pounds each.

I told grandma what was going on and she said "I wanna see this" and grabbed what I swear is the same coat she has wore my whole life and headed outside. My grandma for 88 moves better than some lazy teens I know and she was all about the new found interest of mine. So here below are a few pics....sun was making it hard to take pics but I did what I could.

IMG_20161025_140958499_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161025_145445.jpg

IMG_20161025_151626.jpg

Thanks Trout! I'm trying to make thing interesting...lol. Actually this was pretty cool for me because I spent many hours per week under these trees growing up, playing, hunting you name it.

Lilion, It's always been a joke amongst the family that grandma never changed as the rest of us grew older..lol.  She's been a hard woman and she's starting to slow down a little (not much), she still drives,gardens and still loves needle work. Dualsetters, I was very fortunate and pretty much hunted and fished the family farm year round.