Ringless Honey Mushrooms on Cedar?

Lilion

In my neighbors yard there are a dozen bunches of what I'm 99.9% sure are ringless honey mushrooms.  But these are nowhere near hardwoods.  They are on and surrounding a large  cedar. Has anyone seen this?  Would it effect the taste?  Here are  some photos.  The mushrooms are tan with white stems.  They aren't orange at all.  The gills bruise a brownish color

20161018_183929_zpsa8qcupvv.jpg

20161018_183915_zpsdz6eyb8e.jpg

20161018_184048_zpshz98vpjx.jpg

20161018_184133_zpshynxt7yh.jpg

20161018_183955_zpssmjxcnbz.jpg

Well I didn't bring the one I picked home.  Shucks.  I'll get one tomorrow.  I should mention I'm in Missouri I suppose.  I'm actually not aware of any look-a likes that grow around here, at least not that grow in tight clusters like that.

12 hours ago, vitog said:

A spore print would be helpful for a positive ID.

I'm working on a spore print now.  Hopefully will get one in the 9 hours I'm at work.

Until then, here's a few more shots, if it helps.  Like I said, I'm 99.9% sure - but I like 2nd opinions. 

Anyone know if growing on an evergreen root system will change the taste?

shroom1.JPG

shroom2.JPG

shroom3.JPG

Lilion, I know I have read advisement about not eating chicken of the woods growing on cedars. I don't know if this holds true with other mushrooms like honeys?

The experts will be along to point you in the right direction for sure.

I too would like to know as well.

The spore print is white! 

I just talked to the naturalists at our Dept. of Conservation, who surprisingly didn't think there was anything wrong with eating chicken of the wood growing on cedar!  But all of them seemed to think there would be no reason not to eat these honeys.  I did the "chew it between your front teeth and spit it out" test.  No tingle, no bitterness, just tastes like a mushroom. 

The mushrooms look like Armillaria tabescens, the Ringless Honey Mushroom. Some people are sensitive to eating Armillaria. Thorough cooking is recommended. I par boil Armillaria mushrooms before preparing as food. Try a small portion at first. 

Cedar wood is an interesting habitat for this species. Is there possibly another type of root buried near the cedars? I'm not saying growth on cedar is impossible, just unusual. 

7 hours ago, Dave W said:

The mushrooms look like Armillaria tabescens, the Ringless Honey Mushroom. Some people are sensitive to eating Armillaria. Thorough cooking is recommended. I par boil Armillaria mushrooms before preparing as food. Try a small portion at first. 

Cedar wood is an interesting habitat for this species. Is there possibly another type of root buried near the cedars? I'm not saying growth on cedar is impossible, just unusual. 

Thanks.  I'd read a bit about these and was advised that parboiling them would help with that.  So last night I did that and fried about 10 of them which husband and I split.  Overcooked them into crisps, but no I'll effects, so I parboiled and froze 4 lbs and filled a dehydrator with some more. There were so many I only used the best of the best and tossed the rest.  

The cedar is really unusual, and what prompted this post.  I wouldn't have worried at all if they'd been on hardwood.  The closest hardwood is a large oak at least 50 feet away, on the other side of a paved road.  Some of the mushrooms are nestled up against the trunk of the cedar.  Last night i noticed new, different, bright orange (Jack o'Lantern?) mushrooms coming up near them and starting to mix in with one patch of the Honeys...left those Honeys out of caution and picked other patches. Don't worry...I inspected every single one I cooked and dried to be sure of what I had.  Took ages.

I've lived in this eighborhood 16 years and there hasn't been another tree nearby in that time.  That's a wonderful old cedar.  I told my neighbor thank you for the mushrooms...and call an arborist.

I see oak leaves, but even if there is no "near" hardwood, the roots from a large tree can extend very far, or if the lawn was established in the last ten years, sometimes the roots are left very shallow under the soil level and start dying underground. I find mushrooms growing in rings and lines where it seems like nothing is near to nurture, but if I dig down there is usually an old root system feeding mushroom groups. I find generally a large range of mushrooms in domestic areas because the spores are spread with mulch.