What's your best find?

Wow. I love this thread. Those are some awesome finds. For myself, I don't have a photo but its a funny story. Probably one of my more exciting finds.

A friend and I went out in several places, just randomly looking in places where Morels might be. He had found them before but I had never seen one in my life. It was my first time looking for them. We hiked and wandered all over. We didn't find one mushroom. Later that day, I went home. I lived on a 1/2 acher lot at the time, in a small town. As I was walking in my back yard, over by my compost pile, I noticed weird looking shriveled leaves... then I got a closer look. There were two Morels growing right in my back yard! I harvested one just to see what they taste like and left the other one in hopes it would drop spores. Well, I've never seen another Morel since that day. But it was pretty exciting.

• 2 weeks later...

Best find ever was about 8 years ago going through an burn area from the previous season and picking well over a 100 lbs of morels and leaving about a 1000 behind. Since then, I haven't found more than a few pounds each year.

My dream pick would be to find some lobster mushrooms and a sulphur shelf. Two types of mushrooms that have eluded me thus far. I shouldn't say eluded, except in the case of lobsters. I simply do not have territory that is native to sulphur shelfs. I may have to travel just to get it off my bucket list.

Found these at the end of July this summer...in my neighbor's front yard!  No one was home, so I left them a note and picked them.  Thankfully, they didn't make me give them back.  That was my real introduction to wild mushrooms.  I'd only ever looked for morels (unsuccessfully) before. 

3213ea9ee4af7c4cdf6a1d3e1479886c.jpg

Jaypsnyder, if you want to find Amanita muscaria in NJ, then look for spruce or pine trees on lawns. Often, you can spot the mushrooms from afar. Any idea about what type mushroom is seen in your lead post here? 

My best find this year...? For edibles I'd have to say the fall fruitings of Boletus edulis in my area were my best find. Boletus_edulis_10-1.JPG

But, from the point of view of interesting, one day in the New Jersey Pine Barrens produced a year's worth of interesting stuff. Some examples... http://mushroomobserver.org/257764?q=dx ,   http://mushroomobserver.org/257765?q=dx , http://mushroomobserver.org/257748?q=dx , http://mushroomobserver.org/257793?q=dx . None of these are considered edible.... just unusual and/or interesting. Amanita persicina, although common south of my home turf, is something I don't find in NE PA. 

Great post Dave! thanks for the links and info.... very interesting! as for the mushroom in my original post I was disappointed o discover it had a green spore print.... leading me to believe it was a false parasol.... the people on my app seemed to think it was a garden parasol but that was before I mentioned the green spore print..... I really wanted to eat the Giants but couldn't risk it.... still one of my top favorite finds just because it was right in town on the lawn of a bar completely undisturbed 

One idea that crossed my mind was the mushroom (initial post on this thread) was a type of parasol. But I didn't think it was a green-spored type (Chlorophyllum molybdites). This type mushroom is responsible for a significant percentage of mushroom-related emergency-room visits in NA. (It may actually be the leader in this category.) 

Thanks for the reply, Jay.

• 2 months later...

Best find so far is a morel or two this past spring. It may not seem like anything of importance to some people, but i was truly excited to find those gems (sorry no pics, nothing pretty about them, half eaten by slugs). 

The dream find for now is a good patch of chanterelles and/or king boletes, as I can't find either on Long Island.