Is this some kind of Ganoderma (Reishi)?

tautautau

Thanks Bradley! It grew on some kind of deciduous tree, but I could tell what type of tree it was. Oh that is too bad that it's not good to be used a medicine anymore, as this is the first Reishi I've found, and I was hoping to be able to make a tea out of it. 

Interresting that your Reishi came from wood of a deciduous tree, tautautau. Looks like a G. tsugae to me. But I could be wrong about this. The short-stalked varnished Ganodermas can look a lot alike. I think the white coating on the underside is actually the natural color/finish for the fertile surface of this polypore. The brown on the underside is probably spore deposit. 

I have seen reishis that color growing on hardwoods before. Can't remember the name g. Kirtisi? I know that's spelled very wrong! They're usually pastel colors. 

When I collect reishi for medicine I've always been told the best stage to harvest is just before the first spores are released. This is judged by the color of the cap. When the growing (white) edge disappears they're ready!  I have collected them just after the spores appear and felt like the medicinal benefits were the same. 

I saw lots of reishi today that look like yours. It may still have some medicinal value to it but it's definitely past prime. Many were growing green mold. 

Medicine can only be as powerful as the quality of the ingredients. 

IMG_0154.JPG

Yeah curtisii! I've always been terrible with scientific names. Ganodermas seem to be kind of tricky. I have found red reishi on deciduous trees before. They always look a little different than the ones from a hemlock but I can't quite put into words what the physical differences are. Perhaps not quite as elegant looking.  With color forms and host trees overlapping so much it seems very difficult to truly know what species a particular reishi may be. 

• 6 years later...

I think yours is also a Ganoderma, Ginny. If so, then it's one of the "Varnished Ganoderma" species. There may be species that are found in Texas that I don't see up here in PA. A few subtropical/tropical polypores look like Reishi but are not species of Ganoderma. Subtropical fungi sometimes find their way into parts of southern North America.

Pecan is an interesting substrate. So, it grows on hardwood. My best guess is G. sessile. It looks like it had been attached to the wood by a short/stubby stem. 

I don't know if G. sessile has been used as a Reishi mushroom. 

• 2 weeks later...