Different types of honey mushrooms

Coalkracker

Went out and found a few after work. I know there are different species of honey mushrooms but I'm not sure which ones are which so I've added a few pics. The first pic is of all of them, then the following pics are close ups of the tops and the underside. I've always differentiated them as stumpies and flat tops but I am interested to learn the actual names. The ones in the middle are unusually large for the common stumpies I usually find.

20161007_203849.jpg

20161007_203937.jpg

20161007_204022.jpg

20161007_204102.jpg

20161007_204139.jpg

20161007_204242.jpg

20161007_204233.jpg

Nice cross-section of Armillarias. I've seen really pale-capped ones, like some seen here. In some cases these are ones that start out yellow or tan and fade with age. Armillaria mushrooms can change quite a bit as they age. I think these two photos may show the same species; growing in close proximity. Saw these yesterday. Great year for the popinkies!

Armillaria_RG_10-7_1.JPG

Armillaria_RG_10-7_2.JPG

Up here in Manitoba Canada, us Ukrainians call them pidpenky. I am sure the Polish popinky are ALMOST as good though. lol. As for the pirogi or pyrohy that go with these mushrooms.....well that is a debate for the ages. I would gladly volunteer to be a judge if our two ethnicities ever want to settle it though. lol.

It just so happens I'm half polish and half ukrainian lol. They are great with pieorgi and also on christmas eve we make a dark gravy type soup called machanka with the popinki being the key ingredient. I'm getting a craving for it just talking about it! 

Oopyeta and pidpenky are both new terms to me...but the name "honey mushroom" is relatively new to me also. I'm in the upper scranton area and until recently I've only ever known them as popinki.

That's what I thought, Irisha. Some people put objects made of silver into the pot. I wonder if this trick works with ALL types of toxic mushrooms. 

That's a really interesting variety of A. tabescens, Feral Boy. I've never see this one. 

Irisha20, everything that I've read about mushrooms states that there is no single test that indicates whether a mushroom is poisonous or not.  There are so many different types of toxic compounds in mushrooms that it is inconceivable that any simple test will identify toxicity.  Relying on the blue onion test to identify bad mushrooms is dangerous; the only way to be certain that a mushroom is safe to eat is to positively identify it as an edible species,

Dave, My father in-law who is from WVA has always told of how his grandmother always placed a silver dime in the pan. I have read this was unreliable and some say don't work at all. Could it be that it may work for certain toxins therefore possibility rule out some look alikes but not all mushrooms in general? He did say if the dime would turn black(could be dark blue) she would pitch the entire pan out. This is not anything I plan to use but I'm always intrigued by the old ways. Alot of times these old people won't as dumb as we thought there methodology was unexplained and therefore not taken seriously and practices just lost in time.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎12 at 10:38 PM, Dave W said:

That's what I thought, Irisha. Some people put objects made of silver into the pot. I wonder if this trick works with ALL types of toxic mushrooms. 

That's a really interesting variety of A. tabescens, Feral Boy. I've never see this one. 

My father swears by it. However, he only picks honey mushrooms and has never actually seen an onion turn blue because he knows what he's picking. Its and old wives tale imo.

Heck, I'm just wishing I had a single specimen to toss in a pot and boil with onions, pennies,dimes, or even  tractor tires !!!! ☹️ 1 month and still no rain !! 

On the subject of old wise cooking tales..... Get this... My grand mother used to put galvanized nails in her wild, yard bird gumbos, to tenderize the meat  and get rid of wild flavor!!! Yes, that's correct, I said GALVANIZED nails!! May explain the reason I'm a little off the WALL ... Lol . That's one cultural cuisine I did not carry over into my generation. Not exactly sure where it derived from. 

That's crazy Cajun! At least you had plenty of zinc in you diet.....maybe a little to much ..lol. We had a dry spell here in Virginia for most of August and sept that pretty much ended my Chanterelle hunting So I know what your going thrue. So far Oct is great.....lots of black trumpets right now.

Dave I have picked about 3 pounds this past week out of one patch.  I had not expected them either but I had been watching this spot all summer because it looked good and resemble another spot I have. I guess all this rain finally paid off...sure enough they showed up. I will post some pics under general discission.

Honeys have been prolific around here lately and another type of mushroom popped up locally at the same time that could easily been mixed in with them with out notice. I didn't take time to identify it , but it was very close in color minus the scaliness and with a thinner stringy stem. The spores were all over the gills and come off on your finger brown. I did assume they were honeys at first look. 

Do you think they where the deadly Galerina Marginata ,Dual? They are supposed to have a brown spore and grow in the same places and resemble the Honeys when they are larger. I believe Galerina grow more in singles though, I have not been been able to find a galerina marginata so that's all I know about it. Definitely has slowed me up on trying the honeys.

Galerina marginata generally first appears a little later than the beginning of the Armillaria season. But, I have found this type mushrooms at many different times during the year. There are differences between G. marginata and Armillaria. One such difference is that "Deadly Galerina" does not have stem stuffed with white pithy material. 

• 2 years later...