How to sustainably harvest Grifola frondosa/Maitake

I just found my first of the season "Hen of the Woods". It's still quite small, only about softball size. Most of those I've found in the past were soccer to basketball size and I know that they can grow even larger. Because they're nearby where I'm easily able to later return for more -- provided no one or nothing else eats or destroys it -- I'd usually just cut off a few pieces at a time. In this case, it was more an issue of keeping them fresh/ lack of storage than expecting them to continue to grow larger.

Now, with this new one still small, is slicing off parts detrimental to its potential growth?

Can it still grow from where it was cut or does that part "scar"/callous over?
Will it cause it to develop new "caps" or cause the existing ones to grow more?
Is it OK to harvest small amount at a time or better to be patient and wait?

Thanks

Hello @Actionclaw. I'm hoping maybe someone else will chime in too. I have one that grows in my front yard. It has fruited for the past few years. In the past, I've poured distilled water on and around it during times when it we weren't going to be getting rain any time soon. However, I think its better to just pour water around it rather then directly on it. One thing I've noticed is that when it still feels soft on the outside and isn't getting darker than when you originally found it, it will likely keep growing. Keep an eye on it each day or every other day. I've noticed different weather conditions will make it go one way or the other.

One other thing I've noticed is that when it is still good and growing, it will not have much of a smell. You'll have to get close to check. Once it gets older, these start to get a smell of their own. It isn't bad but it is distinct. One other thing I've noticed is that the pours (where the gills would be) start to get stiffer before the top (part you see when you're just looking at it) starts to.

As far as slicing it... I don't know. I think it will be scared but will still grow around it. It will probably try to heal itself a little probably won't grow much where its cut off. In my experience, these mushrooms popup and then grow slowly after a point. Be sure that when you harvest this one that you cut it off the ground with a knife and then spread a few of the "feathers" (I call them) around the base of the tree so more spores drop for next years harvest.

I hope this helps and makes sense. I hope that thing starts to grow more. :-)