Honey mushrooms, sulfur tuft, or something else - and what are the common look-a-likes for honeys?

my_silly_M

Hi - I'm new to the forum and pretty new to mushroom hunting as well, please forgive my ignorance on both counts!  Let me know if I should post more/different info, etc.

I found a few bunches of these yellow/orange mushrooms yesterday in central VA in an old (100+) mixed hardwood forest (some conifers, but not many).  It's maybe 40% oaks and I think was mostly oaks where I picked these up.  One bunch was on downed tree roots (hardwood, but forget to check what type, oak is likely) the others were within 30ft of that first bunch but not on obvious roots, they were emerging from leaf-covered forest floor.

From everything I've read thus far (and a couple other posts ID'd as likely honey mushrooms from the past few days that look very much like my mushrooms) I'm pretty sure they are honey mushrooms but want to check with others since it's my first time finding them.  They have white/off-white sporeprints and white flesh.

Two questions:

1. Do these look/sound like honey mushrooms to you? Any other characteristics you suggest that I check?

2. What are typical mushrooms confused with honeys, especially the poisonous ones?  And what are the characteristics to look for to distinguish honeys from those bad mushrooms?

Thanks!

20161003_180757.jpg

20161003_180825.jpg

20161004_130033.jpg

20161004_130111.jpg

20161004_130146.jpg

20161004_130443.jpg

20161004_130456.jpg

20161004_130509.jpg

I too have been finding these all over in central VA as well as what I think might be RingLess honeys. I took pics today of the same or similar as you posted above but mine are completely in the button stage so no spore print yet or ring to help identify. My amateur self won't be eating regardless this season.

These look like Armillaria (Honey Mushrooms). 

Spore print for Armillaria is creamy white. Sulphur Tuft (Hypholoma fasciculare) and other Hypholomas have dark grayish/purplish-brown spore print. Psathyrellas have dark purplish-brown to blackish-brown spore print. Pholiotas have brown to rusty-brown spore prints. Gymnopilus have rusty orange to rusty brown spore prints. Galerina marginata (deadly) have rusty brown prints. 

There is a white-spored wood-inhabiting species that has partial veil/ring, but it is uncommon and usually occurs in small numbers, Leucopholiota decorosa.http://www.mushroomexpert.com/leucopholiota_decorosa.html 

Also, Pleurotus dryinus --white spored wood inhabitor-- sometimes shows ring on the stalk. It looks quite a bit different than Armillaria.

Although Armillaria is a wood inhabitor, it is often found growing on the ground. But in this state, it is actually growing from buried wood, probably tree roots. 

If you're considering eating these, be sure to only try about a small portion before eating a full meal of them. They are delicious but are known to cause indigestion in some people... the lower bowls if you get my drift. I remember one year I found these and tried them. The next year, they were everywhere I went. I did not eat them that year :-) However I have been contemplating trying them again because they were so good. Maybe just not as many this time.

Ah, thanks Jason!  I will be judicious in my first tasting.

Also, Dave W, would you say the white sporeprint is the clearest distinguishing characteristic of Armillaria versus Galerina marginata and the others you mentioned? (excluding Leucopholiota decorosa and Pleurotus dryinus)?

The white spore print will rule out Galerinas, however, unless you plan to spore print every single mushroom (and honeys can grow by the bushel) you should learn about Galerina as Dave suggested. They often grow side by side with honeys and if you slip one into your basket by mistake you'll be sorry. That being said, it is pretty easy to tell them apart once you know what you are looking for and are cautiously aware that they could be around. If you have even a shadow of a doubt as to identity....spore print and compare all physical characteristics.