Oysters from Home Depot

Kinda hard to believe we just had historic flooding here in South Louisiana about a month ago. It's been pretty dry since and nothing popping. So...... I settled for this growing kit from Home Depot. Actually pretty neet and recommend to anyone in interested in growing mushrooms. Photo 1 was seven days after soaking(this past Friday, second photo was Saturday morning, and third photo was Saturday night  

I figured I give this a try before going through with my elm oyster beds this fall. I'm also thinking of inoculating some stumps with grifola mycelium. Ought to be a interesting experiment. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Let me know if you get the 2nd harvest. I think it says up to 3, but I had the same kit and only got 1, similar to yours.

Will do. I wasn't sure if I should have soaked in ice water for second fruiting so I just soaked in room temperature water. I've read in the past from commercial cultivators that they soak inoculated logs in ice water to trick it into thinking winter was approaching.

Nice. Those look great! I remember when they starting carrying these they had some that were sitting for a while on a pallet and the mushrooms were busting out of the box. When you picked that up, were they stored at room temp or were they refrigerated? It looks like they normally ship them fully inoculated. I got a kit once that came with the substrate (stuff it grows on) packaged separately and a spawn to mix in.

One a side note, I've been told that if I put my kit in the freezer for a day (or however long I want) that will help promote growth too.

I'm not sure Jason. A buddy bought it for me. I'd have to ask him. It was fully inoculated ready to fruit. All I had to do was soak 8 hrs then water a couple days. My buddy's kit grew mold so I chose water mine less. It called for water every day. Beings we're in South Louisiana, I figured the humidity here was a lot different than the manufacturers location. 

Yea I opted out the cold blast.... We'll see results in a few days. Thanks for replying. 

Daniel

• 3 months later...

I love seeing what you two grew! Looks like fun but it almost makes me laugh when I think about the logs I've found with a dozen or more pounds hanging off them. I thought I read somewhere that you could use the inoculated sawdust left over to inoculate more sawdust.

I wouldn't even bother John in summer or fall, but winter in NY is not very fruitful, so I'm happy to pick even this much:)) I think it's a lot of work though for this amount of harvest.