Hens o' Plenty

Thanks, the white mushrooms are bears beard. Similar to lions main and comb tooth. I usually find one or two of these during miatake season. I normally find them tucked away in the dark shadows of the forest. Also have found them on maples. 

Good luck

Photo is of lions main

IMG_5465.JPG

Well done fellas! Alooney, them are the most pristine hens that I've seen. I've seen them in yards all alone. Most likely there was an oak there at one time. John S., Not sure where you are looking but I know someone from N.C. that finds a lot of hens. I find mostly in urban areas. Old city parks with old oak groves. I don't even hunt in woods for hens.

So many pounds of good mushroom! I gave most of my harvest (one 3.4lbs hen) to a friend who cooked up a bunch and then dehydrated and ground up the rest for use in soup. I tasted a little bit of the ground up stuff and it was amazing. If you don't think you'll eat all of it, definitely grind it up.

Or do you freeze it?

On 10/10/2016 at 9:53 PM, Jason said:

So many pounds of good mushroom! I gave most of my harvest (one 3.4lbs hen) to a friend who cooked up a bunch and then dehydrated and ground up the rest for use in soup. I tasted a little bit of the ground up stuff and it was amazing. If you don't think you'll eat all of it, definitely grind it up.

Or do you freeze it?

I haven't tried drying yet, I sauté them down and vacuum pack then freeze.  

IMG_2491.JPG

On 10/13/2016 at 4:15 PM, themess1 said:

Very nice! My next feat is a giant hen.

Good luck out there look for big red oaks that's been the key for me!