ID help please

The inner flesh of a true chanterelle is white... at least this is true for young firm specimens. Chanterelles also have the distinctive fruity fragrance. Chanties tend to be more yellow than the darker colored Hygrophoropsis. Also, chanties tend to be more uniformly colored (on the exterior).

I don't think that eating Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca is dangerous. For if this was the case, then we would almost certainly know, as these mushrooms has been mistaken for chanterelles. One manual suggests that reports of toxins in Hygrophoropsis are likely due to confusion with Jack 'o Lantern.

The inner flesh of a true chanterelle is white... at least this is true for young firm specimens. Chanterelles also have the distinctive fruity fragrance. Chanties tend to be more yellow than the darker colored Hygrophoropsis. Also, chanties tend to be more uniformly colored (on the exterior).

I don't think that eating Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca is dangerous. For if this was the case, then we would almost certainly know, as these mushrooms has been mistaken for chanterelles. One manual suggests that reports of toxins in Hygrophoropsis are likely due to confusion with Jack 'o Lantern.

Thanks so much for the reply, Dave!

Dave,

Bill Neill was certain on his ID of the False Chanterelle so that is why I did not ask for a second opinion. I never found it before and the ID stumped me. The picture in the mushroom guide did not look anything like my specimens, as far as I was concerned. He also told me that he found about 10 pounds of those Yellow-centered Waxy Caps that you identified for me. He rates them as Good. He lives somewhere in the Boston area, so he basically hunts in the same general area as I do.

He also told me that he had the detoxified Fly Agaric that David Arora prepared for him. He found it Good. I am looking forward to the next season to try them again.

I read that Yellow Chanterelle has the identical poison as the Death Cap but in minute quantities. So, Luigi don’t eat too many Chanterelles :)

Dave,

...I read that Yellow Chanterelle has the identical poison as the Death Cap but in minute quantities. So, Luigi don’t eat too many Chanterelles :)

Morels also contain MINUTE amounts of MMH precursors (like Gyromitra), as do button mushrooms ...

that's not going to change MY eating habits! :hungry:

Dave,

Bill Neill was certain on his ID of the False Chanterelle so that is why I did not ask for a second opinion. I never found it before and the ID stumped me. The picture in the mushroom guide did not look anything like my specimens, as far as I was concerned. He also told me that he found about 10 pounds of those Yellow-centered Waxy Caps that you identified for me. He rates them as Good. He lives somewhere in the Boston area, so he basically hunts in the same general area as I do.

He also told me that he had the detoxified Fly Agaric that David Arora prepared for him. He found it Good. I am looking forward to the next season to try them again.

I read that Yellow Chanterelle has the identical poison as the Death Cap but in minute quantities. So, Luigi don’t eat too many Chanterelles :)

Shouldn't be a problem, unfortunately Vlad. :(

Any guess as to the name of this mushroom?

http://www.mushroomhunter.net/111910.htm

It was growing on a dead oak branch laying on the ground.

Thanks

Did somebody already already identify this one as Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca (False Chantrelle)??? The False Chantrelle is mentioned in later posts, but perhaps refering to another find?

Probably not C. clavipes (wrong colour, although Feral Boy's point is well taken), nor do I think it is Omphalina ectypoides (too fleshy and not enough funnel shaped)..

Anyways, False Chantrelle would would be my guess, although I've always found it in Pine, and not growing on sticks....hmmm.

Also, some people questioned the edibility of False Chantrelle. It was the first wild mushroom I ever ate, and I ate it several times with no problem, thinking they were "real" chantrelles. On the other hand, this was before I had a guide book, and was the ONLY mushroom I ever ate based on somebodies else "word"...I very quickly became very prudent soon after with my first guide book.

I have not eaten them since. They are easily reconnized by the soft flesh, colour, and well formed forked gills...

Calvert,

No, no one was able to identify this mushroom.

http://www.mushroomhunter.net/111910.htm

Here is the one that was identified as False Chanterelle and confirmed by Dave W.

http://mushroomhunter.net/1007102.htm

You might have something there. Both were found in the same general location about 6 weeks apart. I always wonder if a mushroom is growing on wood or on the soil trapped in the crack of the wood.

The first one appears to have much more forked gills and the spore size is smaller but they are about the same size, same coloration, and both had white spore print.

Calvert,

I just checked the MushroomExpert page:

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/hygrophoropsis_aurantiaca.html

He says: “It is found on the ground, often near rotting wood,

occasionally growing from well rotted wood.”

Also the picture on that page shows branching of gills to be about like in mine.

So the only thing that does not click is the larger spores. From previous experience I found that spore size is commonly different from what is given in mushroom guides. Also I might have made a mistake. As of now I would say that it is a False Chanterelle with 90% certainty. Thanks Calvert.

I have seen many examples of mushrooms that are considered to be terrestrial --in some cases mycorrhizal-- appearing to grow from wood. I think that sometimes the mycelium spreads from the ground up onto/into wood.

"Dave" : Two years ago I found a Bolet (possibly Leccinum scabrum) growing from the top of a stump about 1.5 feet off of the ground...not even a "well rotted" stump; there was hardly any moss.

Also once I found what was probably Cystoderma amianthinum growing on a branch at about eye level...I spent days on that one, and it couldn't have been anything else. That one really creeped me out.

kinda like going scuba diving and discovering a family, happily living 12 feet beneath the water! :blink:

"Vlad " : Regarding the first picture; the spores are much too long to be the false chantrelle, and considering that it was growing on a log, I would eliminate that possibility. If it wasn't growing on wood, a quick first glance suggests (little orange) Lactarius, as Dave has already suggested...? Oh well, another mystery relegated to the compost heap.

I find that spore measurements are not so much help in positively identifying fungi as in eliminating "cannot be's" to narrow down the list of possibilities.

I have seen many examples of mushrooms that are considered to be terrestrial --in some cases mycorrhizal-- appearing to grow from wood. I think that sometimes the mycelium spreads from the ground up onto/into wood.

I found a morel growing on a well rotted log last year. I thought it was very strange

"Dave" : Two years ago I found a Bolet (possibly Leccinum scabrum) growing from the top of a stump about 1.5 feet off of the ground...not even a "well rotted" stump; there was hardly any moss.

Boletus mirabilis is usually found on logs. It's fairly common in N. Idaho in the fall (probably NE Washington as well). I dried a bunch last fall and made a lovely lasagne with some just last night (sauteed with onion and mixed with ricotta and mozarella to make the filling). They are at least as good as edulis after drying.

Dave,

You stated in one of your posts that you found Agaricus augustus in the east, if I remember correctly.

Here are 2 pages where I show a mushroom that I thought was a Prince but Darvin thinks that it is Agaricus subrufescens since it is believed that the Prince grows west of the Rockies, only. Are you sure that what you found was a Prince?

http://www.mushroomhunter.net/092209.htm

This past season I found what I think is a Shaggy Parasol, for the first time. This was during a dry spell and it was wilted and it looked like it had not the strength to open the cap. I have found the Parasol Mushroom before and this one definitely was shaggy by comparison. Bill Neil does not think it is the Shaggy. What do you think?

http://mushroomhunter.net/1007102.htm

It looks like a shaggy parasol; does the stem turn red when cut or broken? We find them by the gallons here on the west coast but usually not after the first hard frost.

Vlad, it is possible that I had mis-IDed Agaricus subrufescens as A. augustus. The two are similar. The ones I found were large, robust, aromatic of almond, and excellent edibles. They were found on a lawn under cypress trees in October. I have only found them twice.

Audubon states that A. augustus has been reported from eastern NA.

Sometimes when I find a mushroom that looks different from anything I have seen before, I get excited forget about being objective, rational and scientific and go by my intuition :) I hear that us males have female hormones in us.

Jginbc: When I found that mushroom it looked different from any Parasol mushroom I ever found so my intuition said it must be the Shaggy. So I did not bother checking against the description in the guide. Thinking back, I think that I would have noticed any staining if it occurred. After I studied the description and looked at pictures of the Shaggy I agree that it is an unusual form of the Parasol. It is too tall to be a Shaggy and the spore size fits Parasol. But if I find another in the same location, I will study it more carefully.

Dave: The reason I believe Darvin on this one is that Mushrooms of Northeastern North America does not mention that the Prince as being found in this area. The thing is that anyone can make a mistake in ID. If I find those mushrooms growing in the same spot I will be more rational in my study. This intuition has its limitations even if women swear by it :)

• 1 month later...

I need help with identifying some sort of mushroom/fungus that has been growing in my backyard this year. I've lived on this property for more than 6 years and never have seen it before until now. There used to be this huge 100+years old Oak tree in my backyard, which unfortunately, started dying and had to be cutted down. Its mulch was placed on some areas in my backyard, where the mushroom is now growing. It wasn't there yesterday and maybe due to the amount of rain we've been having in Savannah yesterday and today, it grew 4 inches tall and about 2 inches wide. It's bright orange and have sponge-like texture all over it with 3-fingers upside down (3 finger tips are inside the ground) with a huge pungent odor. It has more of a "dome" with 3 columns than the typical mushrooms with a head, and inside the dome, it has this brown ooze. It started out with a small, white "skin" on top of the dome before it becomes erected and the white "skin" is easily removed, basically slides off the dome as it grows taller. The pungent odor smells more like decay carcass (smells kind of similar to a copperhead snake). You can smell it from 6 feet away. There's more than 1 growing and they're only growing in my backyard from either the location where the old Oak tree used to be and on the old Oak mulch.

I'm not sure how to post pictures of it on here. Any advice or help is appreciated. I'm very interest in knowing what this may be and if it's not harmful to humans or animals or if it's some rare type of species, how to protect it. Thanks.

Hi luckymushrooms. Welcome to the board. It's easy to post photos. Just use the full editor and when it asks for you to browse, go find the photo you want on your computer and then click on it and it will load for you. It sounds like what you have is a stinkhorn but it would be good to see a photo to be certain.

Sounds from your description like Clathrus columnatus. Does it look like this?

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/clathrus_columnatus.html

It's not rare -- and anyone who smells it would say it's just TOO common!

Not poisonous as far as anyone knows, but not many would try to eat it ... although

some types of stinkhorn eggs are edible. Before they sprout, they don't smell.

Hi Ladyflyfish,

I don't have access to the computer to upload the pictures and am using my phone instead. This site doesn't seem to have any full editor, just very limited options when replying.

Thanks Feral Boy,

After looking at the link you posted, it's exactly what we have. I've never seen it before so am not sure what it was until now. Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

luckymushrooms, if you click reply to someone else's message then you don't have access to the full editor but if you just scroll down to the posting box below, it gives you the option of using a full editor which is what I am using now. It may be a while before cell phones can upload photos to sites like this but I can now print on my printer from my iPhone using an app made by Canon for my printer. Things are progressing!