Saffron Milk Cap?

cloudbubble

I don't know what species this is. But I think it's something other than Lactarius deterrimus, Lactarius thyinos, or any of the other saffron/orange milk Lactarius specis. Actually, it looks like something other than a Lactarius to me. Latex observed? 

With the saffron-latex milkies --which I think this is not-- there is often only a small amount of latex. In this case, it's good to slice the cap and then press lightly on the cut flesh with your finger. Check your finger for signs of the color/liquid.

Lactarius mushrooms generally do not grow on wood. (Although it is possible for the mycelium to "crawl" up/through a very old rotten stump and produce mushrooms on the old stump.) 

I think these may be examples of Lentinus or Neolentinus. The gills appear to feature edges that are serrate. The gills appear to be uniformly brown, which points away from the pale-spored Lentinus/Neolentinus. But, gills can discolor as they age. 

Neolentinus ledipeus: http://www.mycoquebec.org/bas.php?l=r&nom=Neolentinus lepideus / Lentin écailleux&post=Neolentinus&gro=20&tag=Neolentinus lepideus

thank you!!

i cut a piece of the cap and pressed my finger onto the flesh... nothing... barely even any moisture, very sponge like and a hint of sulphur yellow colouring around the edges of the fleshy part... more yellow around the gill areas...

it could be the strain you mentioned but like you said, an older mushroom...

although not id'ed fully yet, what are chances of this being edible?

**wont eat until fully id'ed... lol!

Interest in wild mushrooms easily extends beyond the desire for an unusual meal. It's simply fascinating to learn about what's out there. 

But, no matter how many mushrooms I learn, there will always be a few types that stop me in my tracks... because of how good they taste!