Mushroom pics - 2016 edition

I think I can at least finish off Amanita. Here goes.

Amanita solaniolens is another name that possibly represents a group of distinct species. These types are smallish, slender, and with radially streaked caps.Amanita_solaniolens_BethMunWA_7-19_1.JPGAmanita_solaniolens_BethMunWA_7-19_2.JPG

One of my personal favorites (not to eat!). These's a small patch in a corner of my property that produces these mushrooms every summer. An un-named species that Rod Tulloss calls "Species 34". Easily mistaken for Russulas until one picks and examines them. Amanita_sp-34_239_8-18_2.JPG

Amanita stranella is very similar to Amanita praecox. These names may represent the same species. Amanita_stranella_SV_6-9_1.jpg

Amanita subcokeri features a double ring on the stalk. Very similar to Amanita cokeri, which typically does not occur as far north as my area. Amanita_subcokeri_RG_9-24_1.JPG

Amanita submaculata is called the "ball gown Amanita", for the way the large ring on the stalk hangs down. Amanita_submaculata_Thrn_6-20_1.jpg

Amanita velatipes is called the "booted Amanita" in the Audubon manual. Amanita_velatipes_SGL_141_7-19_1.JPG

That's it for my Amanita photo sample 2016. Next, I'll see if I can get through the rest of "A". The winter's not long enough for me to get through the entire alphabet. But, that's okay :-) 

After I finish the letter "A", I'll create a new thread for "B". This should be the end of A!

This weird growth on the end of large sawed log was IDed to genus on Mushroom Observer. Antrodia.Antrodia_RG_4-10_A.jpgAntrodia_RG_4-10_B.jpg

Armillaria is the genus for what many people call "Honey Mushrooms". In my area the local name is "Popinki". When in the unexpanded button stage, one of my favorite edibles. I always par-boil and then cook for at least 20 minutes more. The first photo shows handful of brown ones I gathered about 30 feet from my back door. Armillaria_gallica_239_10-14_2.JPG I think these are A. gallica. The yellow ones seen next are A. mellea.. Armillaria_mellea_FS_9-23_A2.JPG                 Seems a bit far-fetched, but I think these next ones are also A. mellea, just older with faded caps.Armillaria_mellea_FS_9-23_B1.JPG

This pretty whitish coral with the pinkish tinge is Artomyces pyxidatus. Formerly, in genus Clavicorona. Edible, but IMO not very high in quality. Artomyces_pyxidatus_ML_6-7_1.jpg

These little brown grainy things are Asterophora lycoperdoides. This species grows on rotting Lactarius mushrooms. Asterophora_lycoperdoides_LkScrTrl_9-16.JPG

Next we have the "Barometer Earthstar". The "rays" of this species fold up or spread out as per atmospheric humidity. At a bioblitz where I ID fungi there were hundreds of these along a woodland trail. Species name Astraeus hygrometricus. Astraeus_hygrometricus_WEP_6-17.jpg

Aureoboletus innixus used to be in genus Boletus. Boletus is currently being whittled down to only the species considered King Boletes. We'll see some of these in "B". Aureoboletus innixus has golden yellow pores when young, and a witch-hazel odor. Aureoboletus__innixus_BethMunWA_7-19_1.JPG

Aureoboletus auriporus also has golden yellow pores when young. easily confused with B. innixus. I found and IDed this little guy at the NAMA foray. Aureoboletus_auriporus_NSP_9-10_1.JPGAureoboletus_auriporus_NSP_9-10_3.JPG

Aureoboletus auripes is a large dense mushroom with a reticulate stalk surface. I don't find this species every year. A decent edible if sliced thinly and well cooked, or used dehydrated/rehydrated. Aureoboletus_auripes_ML_8-21_A1.JPGAureoboletus_auripes_ML_8-21_A2.JPG

Aureoboletus projectellus was a first for me this year. Found in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. A good edible. 

Aureoboletus_projectellus_PiBar(FPPr)_10-15_B1.JPGAureoboletus_projectellus_PiBar(FPPr)_10-15_B3.JPG

Austroboletus gracilis has pores that turn pink at maturity, which is the reason why it used to be included in genus Tylopilus. The cap mainly consists of tubes and the stalks are slender. Not very interesting as an edible. The "Graceful Bolete" is a very pretty sight in the open hemlock woods. Austroboletrus_gracilis_RG_8-27_1.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't exactly got a jump on the the letter B. I think last year I may have made it up to L or so before it was time to get back out into the woods. 

So i think this time I'll see how far I can get into the alphabet, going backwards. The startup is easy... Z: none, Y: none.

But there's plenty of stuff filed under X. I'll start a new thread. 

Xanthoconium is a genus that was split off from Boletus awhile back. Older guides may still list Xanthoconium affine as Boletus affine. Xanthoconium_affine_NSP_7-13_1.JPG

This fruiting of Xanthoconium purpureum (following) had me perplexed. The caps didn't show much purple, and the stalks were quite white. ID was obtained from a Mushroom Observer proposal.   Xanthoconium_purpureum_ML_8-21_1.JPG

Xerocomellus chrysenteron is sometimes call the Cracked Cap Bolete.  Xerocomellus_chrysenteron_TSP_7-23_1.JPG

Xerocomellus intermedius is rarely found in groups of more than 2 or 3. A real loner mushroom. I think the following photo shows an example of this species. Xerocomellus_intermedius_PksCrkR_7-14_B2.JPG

This next mushroom... I called it Xerocomellus intermedius. But I'm kinda doubtful. I think the genus is correct.  Xerocomellus_intermedius_FS_9-23_1.JPG

Xerocomus illudens  Xerocomus_illudens_HrsPnd_8-18_1.JPG

Xerocomus hortonii is an easily recognized species. The cap is consistently deeply wrinkled. A decent edible.  Xerocomus_hortonii_RG_8-23_1.JPG

Xylobolus frustulatus looks like a porcelain mosaic.  Xylobolus_frustulatus_ML_3-6_2.jpg

• 5 years later...

I want to pop in to this conversation, because you seem to know your stuff! I found quite a bit of Antrodia juniperina on multiple trees in my 5 acre wooded walking area behind our homestead. I've never seen the species before. With a bit of investigation, I found that it has been linked to Heart Rot. I love my Midwestern Red Cedar tree's and refuse to use any chemical interference. This leads me to my two questions; 1) Will this cause me to loose the trees its found on? 2) Can I harvest & eat it :)

-xo

antrodia juniperina.jpg