Lobster Mushroom?

Bre_543

I have found what I believe is a lobster mushroom. It was growing in the soil among some conifers.  Do people eat these mushrooms? My book says they are edible but could be a parasite to a poisonous mushroom.  Can anyone confirm this ID and are they known to be potentially poisonous?image.jpgimage.jpg

I'm new to mushroom hunting, and I've never found a lobster. I've heard some authors say Lobster mushrooms are safe. Others caution against them.

From what I've understood, the arguments for eating them is that no one has ever been poisoned, and that they suspect that the mushroom either rarely attacks poisonous mushrooms or that if it does, it renders them non-poisonous. Also, they say that it would pretty much take a guy in a lab to figure out what mushroom the lobster has parasited.

As for the other camp, they say that lobsters can attack poisonous mushrooms and that they should be avoided unless you can somehow identify what mushroom the lobster parasited.

It looks like one to me, but for sure don't trust me on that. I would wait until one of the experienced guys on here can give you some advice.

It looks like a small Lobster Mushroom, but I don't know if I've ever seen one that small.  In SW BC they are always considered safe to eat, but I'm not sure if that is the case in eastern North America.