ID help please

Eaglesfan

It's a good idea to go the library and get some books out to study at first, and zero in on those easy to I.d. Mushrooms if you want to find edibles. It's quite daunting to just start gathering (photographing) everything. Most of the photos show fungus that is past their prime so cannot make positive I.d.s. Maybe photo 2 and 3 are armallaria type (honey mushrooms) these ones will be prolific coming up about now, so that's a good one to take a look into, some book /internet learning helps! Continue getting out there and observing!

Woah! Nice finds. Were these all from one day!? If so, that was a good day. These ones look like they could be honey mushrooms but they look like they wouldn't be any good to eat at this point.

@Eaglesfan, if I can make a suggestion, it might be easier to post each mushroom individually when asking for ID's. That way when people respond, there isn't any question which mushroom their talking about. The reason I suggest this is because of how sick (or even dead) you can get from eating the wrong mushroom. We wouldn't want to say that mushroom is edible and have you accidentally eat the wrong one. :D

I agree with shroomersue's suggestion to go to the library and check out a book that will give you the Key characteristics to ID the mushrooms you find. Also it is your own personal responsibility to positively ID any mushroom you consume and not base its edibility on possible IDs posted here. As for possible IDs. 1 unknown, 2-3 possibly Armillaria mellea, 4 unknown, 5-6 Cantharellus, 7 possibly Amanita, 8 unknown coral, 9-10 unknown, 11-12 Omphalotus olearius, 13-15 Scleroderma citrinum, 16-18 unknown. All but the unknowns are just my best guesses based on the information available. A suggestion is to get a book or look on the Internet to see if you agree with my guesses.

Thank you all for your help. I have a mushroom guide book but accidentally left it at home when we left for our camping trip

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Woah! Nice finds. Were these all from one day!? If so, that was a good day. These ones look like they could be honey mushrooms but they look like they wouldn't be any good to eat at this point.

@Eaglesfan, if I can make a suggestion, it might be easier to post each mushroom individually when asking for ID's. That way when people respond, there isn't any question which mushroom their talking about. The reason I suggest this is because of how sick (or even dead) you can get from eating the wrong mushroom. We wouldn't want to say that mushroom is edible and have you accidentally eat the wrong one. :D

Yes we found all of these in one day and found more today

First, white fungus with tannish flush on part of the cap (upside). Impossible to get any more specific without photos of the underside.

2nd/3rd. Honey Mushrooms. Armillaria mellea, the classic yellow type. Some people have a bad reaction to eating these. Par-boiling is recommended as a precursor to preparation as part of a meal. Try a small amount that is well-cooked.

4th. Scaly globose thing looks like a representative of a species from genus Scleroderma. These "false puffballs" are poisonous.

5th/6th. Hygrophoropsis aurantiacum, a type of "false chanterelle". Not recommended as something to eat.

7th. A species of Amanita. Looks like a species from section Vaginatae. For more confidence, need to see... underside, stalk, stalk base (which likely needs to be excavated). 

8th. A young "coral fungus". Could be a species from any of the following genera: Clavaria, Ramaria, Ramariposis... and maybe one or two others. Corals are often difficult to ID.

9th/10th. Maybe a species of Rhodocybe or Clitocella. 

11th/12th. Omphallotus illudens, the "Jack 'o Lantern". Toxic for most people. Often confused with Chanterelles. 

13/14/15. A species of Scleroderma.

16/17/18. Looks like Trametes elegans (aka. Trametes gibbosa)... assuming that #16 belongs with the last two. 

Best to post one species observation at a time. Viewing a dozen different species within the same post can lead to confusion.