Chanterelles in PA

Yergaderga

I have heard that 2016 wasn't a good year for Chanterelles in Pennsylvania.  Has anyone been finding any here, especially in south central PA? I've found cinnabar chanterelles but they are very small and unsubstantial. I've found a lot of Boletes and stuff but no yellow chanterelles yet.  Is the season still going? 

Thanks,

Andy

I'm in southeastern PA. I haven't been out much in the summer due to working out of state, but lately I've been spending more time in the woods. Same experience here though - lots of boletes etc., but only a few minuscule cinnabar chantrelles. Could be partly that I'm new to it however.

Possibly.  This is my first year looking gor anything other than morels.  I've been all over though, and I think that I would have found some by now if they were out.  I don't think we had enough rain at any point this summer to let them grow well, also. At least I still found a good deal of stuff- even King Boletes.

They are or have been out. Earlier in the summer I found good amounts of smooth (Lateritius) chants in my regular spots, I think it was in mid July, maybe early August. Northern Allegheny County has had more then its fair share of rain. The smooths really have a serious bug  problem. Pick and clean them as you go. I have a good Cinnabarinus spot, I see Cantharellus Minor. Last year was an amazing year for trumpets. That said, I still haven't found in my 3 years of serious shroomin a "Cibarius", the golden Chanterelle.  So keep on truckin. It's pretty cool to have that eureka moment. Eurekaderga!

Haha! "Eurekaderga" made my day. Thanks for the advice.  I'll have to try the oak woods around where we go and see what there is to find.  Would there be a chance of them being out this weekend or is it too cold?

thanks,

Andy

That's pretty much what happened here I bet. The cinnabar chanterelles grew only because of occasional rain and the fact that they were right next to mountain streams.  I don't know what the deal is for the yellow/smooth chanterelles.  There were a few days I was surprised we didn't find any.