'Mushroom Permits' and people defending Morels with guns?!

Ghost

Hey All,

It's been a long time since I've posted, summer has been absolutely insane for me with work. I found this article the other day and wanted to share it-

Banned From National Forest, For-Profit Mushroom Pickers Go Underground http://n.pr/2bHam2R

It was pretty disappointing to read/listen to actually. I never ran into this when I mushroom hunted in Montana, but I was pretty far Northwest in very remote areas. I'm not sure how the forest service makes the connection between mushroom pickers and all the litter for certain; I would think most mushroom hunters are respectful of nature and would practice LNT principles. I've also heard of people being secretive of 'their' morel patches on public land and such, but using firearms to intimidate people?! Crazy.

Also, the concept of permits for mushrooms is something I am on the fence about- especially for non commercial purposes. It doesn't seem like enforcing the law would be realistic, but at the same time I wouldn't like the idea of non local commercial groups coming through a national forest near me and clearing out all the good mushrooms. What do you think?

Hey Tasso, thanks for the book suggestion- definitely picking that one up.

This one is a difficult scenario for me to contemplate... I am a fan of truly necessary and effective conservation practices, but I think it remains to be seen whether these permitting practices will have any positive effect. That being said, people threatening others over mushroom patches is ridiculous- and that's definitely not something regulation can stop.

Although, I kind of want to have a flag printed with a cannon above a morel musrhoom with the text "COME AND TAKE IT" haha

Commercial morel hunters only gather morels in burned forests. It's hard to imagine that they could do more damage than the forest fires that preceded them. The biggest problem seems to be the trash that they leave behind.

It's not surprising to me that's it's being dine ove mushrooms. These ppl aren't seeing mushrooms in these morels...They aren't seeing beauty, or delicacy...To them it's just money, and we know that for good money, people will be at each other's throats, no surprise there.