Is this White Coral edible?

SheepHeadReaper

Well, what do you think it is? You stated that you've looked it up and have an idea. I have a good idea, as well.

If you were to post your i.d. then you could have the satisfaction of either learning or the satisfaction of being correct.

My idea starts with a c and is in fact edible. Your collection shows a very nice speciman.

SheepsHeadReaper, alright you've got a white "coral". If you look over the

"How to identify" page you'll find numerous steps involved.

I'm not trying to be a d**k but Latin names, habitat, distinctive features, staining, odour all play a role. When you say you have an idea, of what you have, SHARE IT. Nearly everyone, here, is a fan of wild mushrooms.

When someone does a "what is in my yard" post , everyone from experts to neophytes offer help.

Since you've twice identified a "white coral", I'll give my opinion. The specimen appears to be (name may recently be updated) clavulina cristata or cockscomb coral. This is an edible (have eaten it ) species and common on the forest floor.

When discussing identities of mushrooms, descriptive titles like "white coral" are helpful. But this does not constitute an identification. There are more than one species of white coral. Especially when discussing edible fungi, a more precise ID is desirable. Technical Latin names may seem like an inconvenience. But this is the best way to discuss fungal identifications.

I agree that Clavulina cristata is a good possibility here. What types of trees were present where the coral mushrooms were found? Also, it's okay to taste/spit a small amount of coral mushroom. Information about how it tastes is useful.

Interesting Dave. Brantford is a little south of my normal collecting areas but I may possibly have picked this species as Ramaria botrytis. Never had any bitterness issues with (younger) white ramarias. Bloody ! Looked up the spelling of R. botrytis and there's Ramariopsis kunzei right beside it . In my Barron book.

Dave, Feel bad for hijacking this post.

I followed the MO discussion and think you have a valid point. Although the specimen, you showed, seems less robust there are definite similarities.

Almost feel this is one for the microscope.

All and all I think it boils down to the exact i.d. of a "white coral" as the OP designated. I almost feel ashamed. Lol

I think this is R. kunzei. The thin branches with lots of twists and turns, and the pure white color match this observation. If you look carefully at Eva's Ramaria pallida post on MO the color is not quite white, and the fungus is more robust; thick base. 

The photo that I added to this thread is kinda ambiguous. But I think it's R. kunzei. 

ID for corals often requires advanced analysis. 

• 2 years later...

ZI live in north idaho and i found a whole bunch of coral mushrooms today. I only recently in the last 2 or 3 years become interested and actually fascinated by Mycelium and all species of fungi, basically because i was at a buddies one night talking about the beneficial aspect of psilocybes, and he showed me his copy of mycelium running.  I bought my own the next day.  I had no idea how awesome all mushrooms are.  

Ok so my point i guess before i bore you all. Im new to this and so therefore teaching myself, and identification help can be a bit of a challenge where i live.  Mostly because there just isnt much literature or posts out there for this area and to a lesser degree,  this is a pretty uptight place with a whole lot of wealthy aging conservative people here and folks simply are not very willing to lend assistance without some sort of compensation.  Its unfortunate what has seemingly become the standard model for society theses days. In the US, i only speak of and im only stating what i see with my own eyes wich influences my opinion of the state of affairs i happen to be observing. In no way whatsoever do i intend to come off as sounding politicaly motivated, or biased toward wealthy, aging, or conservative people, nor do i wish to influence or set out to change anyone elses opinions and/or belief systems. 

I feel compelled to make these disclaimers nowadays, since people are so sensitive and get all bent up and offended over silly personal hang ups and insignificant distractions, that you cant just have a simple discussion anymore where you dont have to agree but you are equally respectful and allow each to present their argument with facts and not take it personally if someone has a different view than they do.  And so i have a cynical sarcastic sense of humor and i also get to rambling when i type like im in a conversation with myself and the phone screen. 

So any suggestions on where to go for resources?  I tried the north idaho myco society, and well thats why i wrote all that stuff above.   

My apologies for my ramblings and im sure anyone who actually reads all this is like "whoa, this guy needs meds or somethin" but i assure im just bored and having fun being serious.  Ok ill shut up and go bother the shroomery now. 

Thank you and you guys have a cool site here. 

Oh i found some amanitas too.  I think they are muscaria but we do get pantherina here too. Im hoping i found the latter. 

20190621_120753.jpg

Need more info... on the coral mushroom partially hidden by vegetation. 

There's really no better resource than a local/regional mushroom club. Online you have Mushroom Expert http://www.mushroomexpert.com/ , a California site (there's actually some species overlap between ID and CA) http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species_index.html#1_18 , and Mushroom Observer   https://mushroomobserver.org/ , among others. The Quebec site probably has the largest number of North American species, but it's in French   https://www.mycoquebec.org/bas.php?trie=C&l=l&nom=Clitocybula oculus / Collybie à ocelle&tag=Clitocybula oculus&gro= 27 .