Short video on Amanita phalloides (Death Cap)

Nice video, Jason. The explanation of "mycorrhizal relationship" is educational. It is my understanding that such a relationship lasts for many years, which is why mushrooms like chanterelles and King Boletes are found near the same trees for years on end.

BTW, a few years ago I made a collection of Amanita phalloides here in eastern PA and sent the preserved mushroom to Amanita expert Rod Tulloss. Rod passed it along to researchers who confirmed the ID. Turns out to be the first confirmed report of A. phalloides in PA. The habitat was a lawn along a busy road in Wilkes-Barre, PA where ornamental trees had been planted, oak and pine. As explained in the video about California, the fungus must have been imported along with the trees.

http://mushroomobserver.org/77398?q=2pHpu

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I found what I thought was an Amanita phalloides one year but people said it was an edible variation of Amanita... I don't mess with white Amanitas though. I just enjoyed how it looked. Wish I had thought to preserve it and send it to someone for research. I live in northern Minnesota, and don't know how well it would survive here. I don't know much about that that species. I mainly focus on edibles native to Minnesota.

Thanks for sharing that video! Awesome footage of spores spreading. I've heard of mycelium growing along roots to mutually benefit both fungus and plant, but I did not know the fungus could be transplanted with a relocated tree! Pretty cool stuff.