Mushroom Insanity!

Dave W

June and July were pretty dry around here. A few mushrooms, but no big hauls. A couple of days after I started my vacation at the end of July --which included the NEMF Foray in Fitchburg, MA-- the rains arrived in my homeland, NE PA. So while I was trudging up and down fairly barren ridges in drought-stricken north central MA (actually, there were some mushrooms to be found there), the summer mushroom season was just kicking into gear 300 miles away in PA. I thought I was gonna miss all the mushrooms! But, the rains have persisted. And this past week has offered some incredible hunting. I did miss a big flush of B. edulis, but my arrival back home was good timing to tap into a substantial fruting of B. separans. And, they're still coming!... so quickly and in such quantity that even the insects can't keep up. Usually, nearly mature examples of this species are bug-ridden. But much of what I've been finding has been completely bug-free.

I find it weird one observation that is suggested to check for the B. separans is to drip ammonia on it to see if it changes to a blue green. I'm not skilled enough to recognize a lot of the general ground dwellers (theres so many with less district features it seems than tree grown goodies). Eventually I might share in the excitement. For now oysters seem pretty tasty

Hunted upstate again this past weekend, no edulis, no separans. A few Leccinums, Tylopius, the last of L. corrugis, edible and inedible Russulas. I wish I could make a trip to PA now but with the upcomin friend's wedding I'll be out of the woods until mid September.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so here are the photos of the boletes I got a couple weeks ago. (Finally, got the photo-posting difficulties ironed out.

The darker ones in the corner... I originally called these Boletus atkinsonii. But I think they may be just a version of B. nobilis with smoother darker caps than the others.

post-20-0-66811400-1473305413_thumb.jpg

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat out the Boletavoires who descend upon the Pocono Mountains in search of edulis.

post-20-0-26859900-1473305599_thumb.jpg