Agaricus campestris I'm thinking

ChefsWild

Could be arvensis I guess? No yellow staining. No enlarged base. Gills darkening to chocolate brown then black on mature ones and after picking. Aroma is sweet, mushroomy, and had faint hints of maraschino cherry, anise and almond when very freshly picked. Meadow/lawn type habitat, Chapel Hill NC.

post-827-0-76516900-1467084822_thumb.jpg

Hmmm .. Well I won't try to ID as I am no expert, but the A. campestris I find here are more rounded full bodied caps on a thick stalk . Short and compact .

But I guess that can vary in stages of maturity and conditions . Also I don't recall seeing any with that conical center to the cap ???

The pink to brown gills look correct though .. I'll wait for the pro's on this one ..

Probably not A. arvensis. Gills of arvensis types do not have a truly pink stage. They begin pale grayish and turn brown, with maybe a very slight pinkish hue along the way. The gills seen here are quite pink. On an arvensis the ring should be a well-formed "cogwheel" pattern. Before the ring forms, the cogwheel may be observed as the partial veil. These look to have a membranous but fairly insubstantial ring.

I think these are examples of a campestris type (species complex). These are good to eat. I like them best when the veil has not yet broken and the gills are still pink. They make a nice duxelles. Once the gills become brown, the flavor (of the gill material) becomes strong.

Not disagreeable at all. They taste quite nice. As there are no poisonous lookalikes that meet all of the observed characteristics here (no staining, yummy odor/taste, definitely Agaricus), it's saute time.

Chefs, so the first photos and the last photo are the same exact mushrooms? Or found relatively in the same area ?

How soon do the gills start turning brown ?

I believe the same exact mushroom, though I picked a good number. The gills browned within 12 hours in the fridge.