Ontario Mushrooms

geez we have had I think 5 new members from Ontario join so far during October. I'm wondering if we are getting some of the Mycological Society of Toronto members dropping in. It would be excellent if about 100 of them joined! Maybe some of the new folks could tell us how they found us if they arent shy :)

I hope they are not from your area, Dufferin, or you soon will need to put up a fence and a sign "Keep out.Private property" around your spots. ;) Keep shrooming! I'm gone fishing for now. :gonefishing:

• 4 years later...

Found this discussion from a Google search... but there is nothing since 2011!!

Surely someone in Ontario somewhere has found some mushrooms since then!!

I found a lovely big Lion's Mane (called Bear Tooth here) last fall and it was delicious. I was pretty hesitant to eat it, but was assured that there were no poisonous lookalikes in my area.

Now I'm hooked. I see mushrooms everywhere! I just don't know which are safe to eat.

Anyone there??? Want to gab???

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You'd probably not be excited to hear that the pheasant back mushrooms came out after the rain around Guelph. But I breaded them with some spices and cooked them up with some chicken.I used a bit of chili powder with my spice mix this time and it was delicious. 

Will be hunting around Hilton soon. Got wild leeks in and fiddle heads, and am scouting areas where there was chicken of the woods last year.  I did find lots of morels bit didn't eat them...

• 1 month later...

Absolute beginner here. We've had heavy and regular rainfall in the Dufferin area this year and my garden started sprouting fairy inkcaps all over the place. It intrigued me and I ended up spending some time researching shrooms online. I came across a site that suggested a beginner hunt of Lion's Mane, Chicken-of-the-woods, Hen-of-the-woods, Old-man-of-the-woods, and Yellow Morels as edibles. I have no idea what grows in my area but I'm hoping to have a fruitful hunt with all of rain we've had. Any tips or suggestions on where to start?

The very best course of action is to join the Mycological Society of Toronto www.myctor.org .They will ding you 30 bucks for a family membership and it is worth every penny. Their main deal for beginners are the organized forays which run spring and fall and are open to members. At a foray the group meets at 9:30 am and everyone heads out into the woods to collect as many different species as they can find (and if you find a whack of edibles you have supper). The group returns to the starting point at 12 or 1 PM with their catch and everyone's finds are spread out on tables where each species in turn is identified. You get to ask questions, talk about look-alikes and handle the mushrooms. If you were shrewd enough to hook up with an experienced person when you started into the woods you can get some in the woods lessons. The fall series of forays starts around the beginning of September and there will be forays almost every Saturday and Sunday until usually the end of October. The club also hosts identification courses and meetings with guest mushroom speakers. This is a really good deal for anyone beginning with mushrooms. They also run a spring series of forays but the truth is that the spring forays are pretty much just morel hunts. How many species get found on a typical fall foray? I have seen the group bring back 150 different species in 3 hours and they rarely find fewer than 60.

Duff_08.JPG

This club also generally has one summer foray that happens in July and is generally not well advertised. See if you can track down the foray director and ask if there will be a summer foray in the next week or so.

• 2 years later...
On 9/1/2011 at 4:48 PM, easternWA said:

mister - Do you like those Lactarius deliciousus? I've seen them around here but haven't worked up the nerve to try them, mainly becuase Aurora says they're not really all that delicious.

They are kinda bitter, but a Russian told me to liberally brush olive oil all over them, sprinkle with your favourite spice, and let marinade in the fridge for a day in a container. I did this, and they were quite good. I used salt, pepper, garlic, and some balsamic vinegar. 

• 1 year later...