2016 Morel season

Well, I have given up on the morels here in nw Va, ,, Didn't even find a lb. total all spring . Even after all the rain we had, they never popped .. I can only assume that the crazy weather in April just shut down the flush . Oh well, waiting on the shrooms of summer now .

How was the season in your area ?

By driving to S Ohio combined with local woods about 200 split between us, worst year since 2012 March heatwave followed by a freeze...

Down year for me. The freeze basically wiped out the blacks. Subsequent warm-up was accompanied by lack of rainfall, which held back the small forest grays/yellows (deliciosas, tulip morels, Morchella diminutiva). And when the rain returned, the daytime temps typically hung in the 50s/60s, so the soil temp never really got going for the big ones under the dead/dying elm/apple trees.

Brought home some nice morels a few times, but in smaller than average quantity.

Here in SW BC the morel season started off pretty well. A nearby burn was fairly productive, as described in another thread; and my early "natural" morel patches have been producing decent amounts of black morels. I was particularly pleased to find about 70 Western Blonde morels in the one area that produces these. The blondes are nice, large, heavy morels that keep well in the refrigerator. The problem with this season, like last year's, is that the rain has practically stopped since late April; so I haven't checked any more spots. It is not too late for my final natural morel area, and there are some burns at higher elevations that could still produce lots of morels. But rain is needed, and showers are in the forecast for later this week; so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Another down year. We haven't had a really good season in a few years and now the orchard I hunt changed their spray program so the yellows there are no longer safe. The best morels we found were this past Saturday. One of them was a monster, but they were at a nature center, so we coudn't harvest them.

Found about 4 lbs. in the usual areas but did find a new spot that I figured everyone else would look but obviously not. Was driving through a state park and saw the tree next to the road. Jumped out to find about 30 big blondes. All in,probably half of what I usually find. Same weather as a lot are saying, heatwave in march followed buy wet cool temps that never warmed. Just finished last weekend with a few big ones that were a little past prime in mid-Michigan.